🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Freelancer ending fixed price contract with m...
Page options
a1054646
Community Member

Freelancer ending fixed price contract with milestone.

When creating this fixed price contract i made 2 milestones,
1st delivery, priced  X
2nd delivery, priced Y
When i am on my contract page i see only the 1 milestone which i have now completed and see the recieved funds of X. 
My 'project price' I see is set to the total of X+Y.
My question is how do i recieve the remaining funds (Y) as i have finished and delivered the project? Do i make a new milestone and mark it as complete or do i end the contract and the difference will be asked to be paid from client?

Any help would be great thanks.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tlsanders
Community Member

You just have to ask the client to pay you and hope that they choose to do so. 

Here's what should have happened: After you submitted the first milestone, you should have submitted it and waited until the client approved the milestone and funded the next one to get started on the second part of the project. Then, you should have submitted the second part of the project by clicking "submit work/request payment" on that second milestone. 

In other words, you should never be doing more work than is covered by the funded milestone. There is no protection for your payment if you are working without a funded milestone.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
tlsanders
Community Member

You just have to ask the client to pay you and hope that they choose to do so. 

Here's what should have happened: After you submitted the first milestone, you should have submitted it and waited until the client approved the milestone and funded the next one to get started on the second part of the project. Then, you should have submitted the second part of the project by clicking "submit work/request payment" on that second milestone. 

In other words, you should never be doing more work than is covered by the funded milestone. There is no protection for your payment if you are working without a funded milestone.

Thanks! I'm new to this platform so I'm trying to get my head around the stages but this makes perfect sense. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members