🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Freelancer entered way too many hours and it ...
Page options
jazzyric
Community Member

Freelancer entered way too many hours and it charged me

I had a fixed rate $75 job I invited a freelancer too. They said they preferred a hourly rate but the price was fine. So I changed to accomodate. However, this was not a major project. It was a small function. One I ended up having to re-work. They even provided it in the wrong language and wrong format I asked for. Then on top of that charged me 27 hours of work to $2100. I was traveling and did not see their hours in time before Upwork withdrew from my account. This is astronomically high and should have been a 1-2 hour charge at most given that I asked for this to be $75 fixed. How can I resolve and do so quickly? I cannot manually edit the hours as Upwork does not provide enough time to review and check after the week is over. 

7 REPLIES 7
petra_r
Community Member

Derek S wrote:

I was traveling and did not see their hours in time before Upwork withdrew from my account. This is astronomically high and should have been a 1-2 hour charge at most given that I asked for this to be $75 fixed. 

If the hours were logged last week, you have until Friday to dispute.

Also check if the hours were logged with the tracker, look at the screenshots and check if they have meaningful work memos and activity levels.

It looks like you sent an offer at $75 per hour... What is the hourly rate on the freelancer's profile?

Derek S wrote:

However, this was not a major project. It was a small function. One I ended up having to re-work. They even provided it in the wrong language and wrong format I asked for.

Unfortunately, with hourly contracts, that is not something you can dispute. You pay a freelancer for their time, not for any kind of outcome.

Derek S wrote:

How can I resolve and do so quickly? 

Is the contract still open? If so, pause it immediately so no more hours can be logged. Then talk to the freelancer to see if there is a way to resolve this without a dispute. 

jazzyric
Community Member

I paused contract. And I asked for refund and they have not done so yet. So I was waiting on that currently.

They were doing work I never asked for. And some of the work was in another programming language or didn’t work at all.

I honestly just got ripped off completely on this and they took days for something that was so simple that I ended up getting someone else to complete in an hour.

What are my options here? Wait on proper refund? I’ll concede to two hours. Not 27. Not for broken work or work that wasn’t asked for.
petra_r
Community Member

Derek S wrote:
I paused contract. And I asked for refund and they have not done so yet. So I was waiting on that currently.
What are my options here? 

WHEN were those hours logged? You can only dispute next week's.

What is their profile rate and what kind of hourly rate does the freelancer usually work at (check their profile)

What did the freelancer say when you confronted them?

jazzyric
Community Member

They said they will review later then went incommunicado. Their hourly rate is 75/hour. But they agreed to do this at fixed rate but wanted hourly format for it.

They also took two days to get even close to usable code and it wasn’t even working even then. Then did extra work I didn’t ask for and logged more hours.

Do I just wait on refund or what?
petra_r
Community Member

Derek S wrote:

Do I just wait on refund or what?

Depending on the work diary you may get no refund at all.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Derek, 

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with this freelancer. I have escalated your issue to our executive escalations team. They've reached out to you already via this support ticket and will further assist you directly. 

Thanks so much for your patience.

~ Bojan
Upwork
jazzyric
Community Member

Thanks I am awaiting refund chance first by freelancer and will follow up if that doesn’t work out. I’ll give until tonight since they are on India time.

-Derek
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths