cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancer to Agency

ktysinger
James K T Member Since: Oct 22, 2015
1 of 7

I was hoping to capitalize on my experience and UpWork rating, so I started an agency. I have two very talented graphics designers on my team. The problem is that when I apply to jobs as an agency, I am put on the ignore list immediately.

Is there a way to mitigate this?

Even when I apply for jobs for myself, I can't even get a reply if I am applying through my agency. I would love any feedback that you may have that could be helpful.

joy2111
Joyce T Member Since: Jun 29, 2015
2 of 7

Hi James,

I don't have any experience in such situation, but here's my take:

I think the jobs you applied for have been set by the clients not to accept any applications from agencies. That is why your applications would directly go to ignore list.

I might be wrong. I would speak to the CS if I were you, stating examples of job postings.

Good luck!

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 7

Hi James,

Unfortunately the majority of clients very much dislike dealing with agency freelancers, and either set their job postings to "individual freelancers only" or stick any agency applications straight into the "No" folder unread.

I know that I do just that when I post a job, I want to deal directly with the person who will be doing my work, want that person to be 100% responsible for the work they are doing for me, and want to pay them directly (through Upwork obviously.)

janysim
Janeka S Member Since: Aug 7, 2016
4 of 7

Sorry to necro an old thread, but this is really sad.

I am an awesome freelancer and have a network of similarly well-skilled associates that would love it if I gathered them together and did the heavy lifting of searching and assigning jobs.

We work great as a team and I thought it would be most efficient to do business as an agency rather than running around individually sourcing clients.

What can agencies do to destigmatise ourselves?

csjarmitage
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
5 of 7

Agencies just don't work for me.  That doesn't mean that this applies to all clients.  However, I echo Petra's sentiments exactly; I need to know who we're working with and I can't abide an intermediary.  Because of this, we only post jobs for individual freelancers and the inevitable agency applications are archived.

@Janeka S wrote:

Sorry to necro an old thread, but this is really sad.

I am an awesome freelancer and have a network of similarly well-skilled associates that would love it if I gathered them together and did the heavy lifting of searching and assigning jobs.

We work great as a team and I thought it would be most efficient to do business as an agency rather than running around individually sourcing clients.

What can agencies do to destigmatise ourselves?

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
6 of 7

Maybe it depends on the field? As a translation client, I automatically ignore agencies because I want to know that the freelancer can understand the nuances of what they're translating. Agencies who apply to my jobs never show me the freelancer that's going to be doing the job. Maybe I don't get exactly how agencies work, because I thought they had to apply on behalf of a specific freelancer, but I always get applications from a clear agency profile telling me they have "2 freelancers on staff who speak [language], one will translate and one will proofread" or whatever, but not who they are. I want to deal with my freelancers directly.

smartbpo
Community Guru
Muhammad I Member Since: Dec 19, 2015
7 of 7

Sorry to hear James that you are not getting the job as Agency contractor. Well, the problem can be with your selling skills how you are selling yourself to the client.

I am Agency owner and very successful, last month I applied to 8 jobs and won 7 jobs. Even I wasn't able to use more than 20 connects each month.

In very start when I migrated here there was so much issue with Agency contractors that no one was willing to hire Agency contractor but now Agency contractor are in a good demand. Currently, my Skype Status is not accepting any job and declining all the invitations without reading because I don't have more space for new work.

Try to polish your proposal explain to the client how you can be beneficial against freelancer, how many advantages you can provide against freelancer as Agency contractor.

Selling is an art and you have work on it. I even won some projects where client set the preference as Freelancer only.

Just explain to client " Two minds are better than one". If you successfully explain that to the client you will win gigs here frequently.

Best of luck.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS