🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Freelancer uses copyrighted material for work
Page options
4a02b80c
Community Member

Freelancer uses copyrighted material for work

Where can I find reassurance I'm protected if a freelancer uses copyrighted material for work product? 

Since the work product becomes entirely my own upon payment, am I liable for any copyrighted material that the freelancer illegally used? 

I can do as much investigation on my own to make sure they did not, but I want to find some level of protection in case the freelancer indeed used others' copyrighted material without my knowledge. 

Furthermore, can you guide me to the specific area in the Terms of Service or other contractual agreement that indicates your answer. 

2 REPLIES 2
bobafett999
Community Member

I guess the best protection is to do due diligence.  Also, if you are expecting original creative materia for pennies, you may be disappointed.   You will get what you pay for.  There are many excellent writers on upwork. US and Europe based writer do charge more.  Even the very good writers from India charge higher - not as high as US based though.

The bottom line is your budget, and you have to spend time examining their previous work on upwork, their background etc.

Another way might be to skip real high end writers and hire 2-3 mid range writers.  Have them write PAID sample small article for you and you can determine if it is original and if you like their writing style or not

Upwork is not in a business to guarantee the work product.  They basically run a bulletine board.  They are sophisticated version of Craigslist - nothing more

Good luck!

williamtcooper
Community Member

Hey Marcos, run the copywriting through a software package that checks for plagurism. Thanks!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members