🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Freelancer wants my help
Page options
9993a92a
Community Member

Freelancer wants my help

i have a hourly open contract with a client and a freelance reached  out to me asking if I would give him a recommendation to the client I am working with. Meaning he wants me to tell the client to accept the proposal from the freelancer because he does good work. in exchange, the freelancer said they would pay me some of the funds. I said yes to see if this was a scam or what ever else he would say. I didn't tell the client because I don't know if its a setup from upwork or if it would be something that gets me kicked off. Is this ok to do or violate any of the rules to talk to client to help a freelancer get a contract?

He reached out via a chat thing that's in beta. he has done a lot of work it appears but the contract in question is 10grand  so I understand why he would want to get signed

17 REPLIES 17
lysis10
Community Member

Do you know this guy? If not, stay out of that mess. 

9993a92a
Community Member

No it was a random request to add to network.  He is some where in India.. And he is a legit seeming freelancer based on work history.. But I'm not trying to mess up my client work vouching for someone I don't know doing work that's not in my expertise.. I'm just on my 3 lrd client so I am still trying to get more work and good reviews 

You should call Upwork's support team, but I think the answer came from Valeria up above. Her answer is pretty clear. 

Community Member

Well, now we see a potential abuse of the new "network" feature.

Community Member

Wait, how would this other freelancer send you the kickback? I don't think that a non-agency FL-FL transfer off-platform qualifies as an explicit violation of the ToS, but I would interpret it as a violation of the spirit of the ToS.

I didn't ask becuase I didn't plan to help him out on this. I just like to see how much these people would say thinking I was a rube... He was of erring me money based on billable hours but it's a fixed rate.. He said 0.50 to 1.00 per hour billed....which was insulting enough for me to go OK let me see if this is reportable and yea it's that network thing.. He sent request to join network. 

tlsanders
Community Member

Why would you jeopardize your own relationship with a client to recommend a stranger who may be a lousy worker or may even be a scammer? 

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Lester, 

Paying or getting paid for a referral of this nature outside of Upwork would be considered a violation of Upwork TOS. Freelancers can refer others when declining an invite. They can also consider creating or joining an agency, if they'd like one member to focus on finding projects and sending proposals on behalf of other members. 

~ Valeria
Upwork
785284e3
Community Member

when freelancers are struggling to get job they do what they think might get them the job. I am myself looking for someone who can refer me to jobs. I think if you don't want to work on any project you can refer someone else, nothing you gonna lose but someone may get helped. offcourse it is necessary to check who wants to be referred, if his/her profile seems all good it's ok 

You can, but you should refer someone you have worked with in the past and know is skilled and reliable. Otherwise,you do the client a disservice and put your own reputation at risk. 

Clients also sometimes doesn't know a freelancer. He assumes that the freelancer can do the work by visiting his account and see his work history, success rate, certifications, skills and so on. Then he goes with the communication. It is not necessary to have worked with the freelancer before. Client can do that himself as well and will hire him if he sees him fit

Ali A wrote:

Clients also sometimes doesn't know a freelancer. He assumes that the freelancer can do the work by visiting his account and see his work history, success rate, certifications, skills and so on. Then he goes with the communication. It is not necessary to have worked with the freelancer before. Client can do that himself as well and will hire him if he sees him fit

I wouldn't even think of recommending a freelancer if I don't know them and I know they will do a good job.
Suppose you recommend a freelancer without knowing about him to do a job in your same field because you can't do the job at the moment. And suppose that freelancer is bad, slow or a scammer.
If I were the client, I certainly wouldn't approach you again to offer you another possible job.

If a new client is comming to upwork to give a job to a freelancer and he doesn't know any freelancer there then what? 

Ali A wrote:

If a new client is comming to upwork to give a job to a freelancer and he doesn't know any freelancer there then what? 

Ok, maybe I'm not explaining myself well?
In principle, all clients come to Upwork without knowing any freelancers. And clients find freelancers to do their work (how the thing ends is not a topic here), because they search among all those who are available in the field that interests them. It's been like this forever and it seems to work.

So, why are you going to refer a freelancer that you don't know either and risk losing face with the client (who may even have been a potential client for you)?
Is it better understood now?

so all again comes to what I said earlier. Top rated badges, reviews, success score makes a freelancer win jobs and it has nothing to do wether you know that freelancer or not. It is also not 100% true that in the absence of Top rated badges, reviews, success score makes a freelancer unable to do work.

Ali A wrote:

so all again comes to what I said earlier. Top rated badges, reviews, success score makes a freelancer win jobs and it has nothing to do wether you know that freelancer or not. It is also not 100% true that in the absence of Top rated badges, reviews, success score makes a freelancer unable to do work.

I think we aren't going to understand each other, so we'll leave it 😕

6bfcdaf8
Community Member

So the freelancers method of success is stalking clients profile to find other freelancers they work with, and cold message them and try to bribe. I dont think this is a good freelancer or an ethical person. Actually this is the reason that you should not recommend this freelancer.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members