cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancers Beware of scammer hiring writers and not paying

alishaland
Alisha L Member Since: Dec 9, 2017
1 of 3

I wanted to let other freelancers know of a terrible scammer, maybe more than one, that is on here.  It was my own fault for being stupid, but I applied for a writing job and was contacted and asked to contact them on Skype.  They explained the job, the pay rate was good, not overly outstanding, but good.  Payment was supposed to be the 15th and the 30th of the month.  

I expressed my concern over working for over a week and not getting paid so he told me that they were paying new writers that started this past week on Saturday, the 9th...today. I decided to try not to be so distrusting and did TEN articles for them over the course of 30 hours or so.  Today they not only didn't pay me, they ignored all of my messages.  

As I said, it is my own fault for being trusting and foolish.  I just wanted to warn other freelancers out there to be careful.  I am out over 200 dollars and the time I spent working hard to produce good articles for them.  Live and learn, right?   I have reported the job to Upwork but did not file a dispute for payment because it was MY fault for believing them.  The only name/info I have is Steve W. 

I do have a couple of the sites that I wrote articles for that I will be contacting and I will be contacting iwriters.com as well, as I think that is whom they are signed up with and contracting out the articles to, well,  ...foolish people like me and then not paying for them.  

aaron_luigi
Community Guru
Aaron Luigi L Member Since: Dec 28, 2014
2 of 3

Hi Alisha,

Sorry to hear about the experience but good to hear that you went ahead to report the client. Our Trust & Safety Team will review the case and take necessary actions agains any one who is considered in violation of the Upwork Terms of Service.

Read more about your payment protection within a set of criteria through this article to minimize the potential issues in payments.

Thanks and we wish you all the best!

- Aaron
Untitled
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 3

You are protected provided you don't work without a contract. Without a contract clients can't pay you even if they wanted to. Well, unless you agreed to be paid outside the platform, in which case you not only got scammed, you also risked being banned from the platform permanently.

Where-Is-My-Money.jpgReal-Job-Or-Scam.jpg

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS