cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancers Flaking

Highlighted
Tim L Member Since: Jan 13, 2013
1 of 19
Odesk really needs to add a freelancer metric for job completion rate. I'm really tired of dealing with contractors who take a job and either disappear a few days later, or message me the day the contract is due saying they can't do the job. Misrepresenting skill sets and/or biting off more than they can chew seems to be epidemic here. I'm afraid to leave negative feedback because it will look like I'm the problem, which is not the case. I give them a simple job, and they flake. There is no communication between awarding the contract and the flaking, so it's not like they're bailing because I'm a jerk. Am I the only one with this problem?
Highlighted
Community Guru
Heather H Member Since: May 9, 2011
2 of 19
There does need to be a completion rate along with the feedback. Also, dont be afraid to leave honest feedback for work completed. I would mention, a lot of clients tend to give all 1 stars when a contract goes bad, which may not be accurate, if the contractor did poor work, rate that poorly, but if they communicated well, rate that accordingly. I also agree that this is needed, I just had a contractor flake, then tun in a project 3 days late, that looked terrible and was not usable at all. BUT, they were okay with communication. Meh, I see why hiring in person is looking more attractive.
Highlighted
Heather O Member Since: Jan 10, 2014
3 of 19
Well reading this post really stinks! No WONDER it is SO difficult to get a simple freelance gig here. The world has gone flaky. I'm so sorry you have experienced this. I have the opposite end of the spectrum of people hiring me and then not communicating or keeping me "in the wings" when they are ready to use me. Or I never hear from them again after asking for a deadline and expectations. it is also rather rude, don't you think? I mean, we may all be remotely working, but we are STILL interacting with professionals. Shouldn't that mean something? Thanks for letting me jump on the vent-band wagon! Heather
Highlighted
Community Guru
Mandy D Member Since: Jul 29, 2013
4 of 19
oDesk is not for professionals. The site has become a joke, and oDesk does not care. For reasons known only to themselves 1. they are ruining their top freelancers by implementing the hidden applications system. 2. they are preventing entry level freelancers from finding jobs by implementing the oDesk minimum wage to whomever they decide needs it. So across all spectrums, from beginner to professional, they are blocking freelancers from obtaining jobs. If they could only justify/explain these stupid policies, perhaps we could all understand what is going on. Without this explanation. I think we are all better off seeking alternative freelancing sites.
Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 19
It is for professionals, if you know how to navigate the field. There are a lot of crazy things they do here, but if you know your stuff, none of that will affect your ability to land projects, and get them done. Also, I would hope that you have always used more than one platform, professional freelancers tend to have at least 7-10 different sources.
Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 19
Unless something is done to correct the recent experiments, professionals are going to get fed up with the site and move on. Heather, I am new to on-line freelancing; have been freelancing in the B&M world for just over 9 years, and have a local clientèle which I am supplementing with on-line freelancing. Personally I do not have enough time to manage 7-10 sources.
Highlighted
Community Guru
7 of 19
Well, I also have in person and online clients, there are plenty of online managment tools that can help you manage your client sources, just like oDesk, most places send you messages when you get job offers, so it is just a simple thing of taking a few hours to set up your profile. Or, I have found it useful to choose one platform to make a very complete profile with feedback, portfolio ect, and then reference it and my linkedin profile, or personal website in communications with other platforms. Online freelancing is a whole new animal when compared to freelancing in person. It really does take about a year to find out which platform works best for you, and build a client base. After that first year, things are pretty much golden. The niche you work in also has a lot to do with the platform you choose, and such. Some places are better for those in graphics or programming, while other platforms are more suited to those in the legal profession or in customer service. Don't give up, and please dont get frustrated here, better to ignore the faults on this site, since the will NEVER be fixed, that is about the only thing that is certain.
Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 19
What you are saying makes very good sense and your advice is well taken Heather. I was fortunate enough to meet an exceptional client on oDesk who has provided enough hours to fill my time up for now. My emotions start up when I read posts from people who have used oDesk for years, or who are just starting out and are being badly mistreated. It must be very upsetting to have your time (money) wasted by stupid experiments. oDesk's attitude is also annoying - they simply do not directly address their users concerns. With your experience in on-line Freelancing, you have most likely seen it all - and successfully worked your way around it. I like your suggestion about linking to your LinkedIn profile. When I am in a position to actively job-hunt I will certainly make use of that bit of advice.
Highlighted
Dini J Member Since: Jun 28, 2009
9 of 19
[quote=Mandy D.]oDesk is not for professionals. The site has become a joke, and oDesk does not care. For reasons known only to themselves 1. they are ruining their top freelancers by implementing the hidden applications system. 2. they are preventing entry level freelancers from finding jobs by implementing the oDesk minimum wage to whomever they decide needs it. So across all spectrums, from beginner to professional, they are blocking freelancers from obtaining jobs. If they could only justify/explain these stupid policies, perhaps we could all understand what is going on. Without this explanation. I think we are all better off seeking alternative freelancing sites.[/quote] _____________________________________________________________________________________ I have been with oDesk since June 2009. I only see oDesk wanting more control over the freelancers, as oDesk get larger. Here are two points way I am thanking this way. It cast oDesk time and money to support the little freelancer. Now there are going to put in place Freelance club. I did not stat with oDesk to join a club. I am a business. I do not agree with the freelancer club, I am a freelancer who gives hundred percent and has work ethics. I am freelance because of what my family and myself needs are. This is not about supporting the freelancer this is about more money for oDesk. You are not helping the little person that may only be able to work more than five hours a week but they give our quality work. The support oDesk would be giving would then be based on the amount of money being made to oDesk. Giving more support to someone that works more hours or earns more money than the one who works part-time. In my opinion your discriminating and it’s all about money it is not about helping the freelancer Weather by working one hour a week or 40 hours a week at times we all need the quality of support from oDesk that is required. ODesk wants quality workers but is now not willing to give out quality support to all equally. Gold versus Bronze is not equal opportunity. oDesk automatically pauses clients. Claiming it is for security purposes. Not all clients need work done every 30 days. I have clients that rely on me for my expertise, work ethics and knowing that I will get the job done as required. When oDesk put your clients on pause it now interferes with you and your client. When a client that becomes non respondents and ODesk places you on pause automatically and you have email the client multiple multiple times. Now you are at risk for negative feedback and there is nothing you can do about it. Placing the freelancer on pause, freezes your pay level. With all this said I can not just walk away. My answer is to try my client to me not oDesk. I am now thing out side the box.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Margaret P Member Since: Jul 7, 2007
10 of 19
[quote=Dini Jaskowski]When oDesk put your clients on pause it now interferes with you and your client. When a client that becomes non respondents and ODesk places you on pause automatically and you have email the client multiple multiple times. Now you are at risk for negative feedback and there is nothing you can do about it. Placing the freelancer on pause, freezes your pay level.[/quote] what are you talking about? How the hell does it freeze your pay level..and why do you have to email your client multiple times? The client on hold will contact you when they need you to work again. At that time you say, 'Sure I can do it but you need to go into oDesk and un-pause the contract'. The client then says 'Oh,OK'. How is this an issue? Also if you want more money from the client in question just renegotiate it. They can easily increase your rate. You seem to be operating under some misinformation.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS