cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancers Flaking

Community Guru
Junelle A Member Since: May 31, 2009
11 of 19
[quote=Margaret P.] You seem to be operating under some misinformation.[/quote] i'm under the same impression. to Dini, i couldn't help but notice that in your overview, you say: [quote]ODesk has me listed as a Agency Contractor I am,But you work Direct with me on your Bookkeeping. I am also a Independent Contractor. I would be the only one working on your Bookkeeping needs. [/quote] well, that's because you are a member of an agency, and if my guess is right, it's one you created yourself (the overview of that agency is the same as your overview). you can make arrangements with support to hide that if you feel it's affecting your chances of landing contracts.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain." - Maya Angelou
Try harder, or care less.
Elaine G Member Since: Apr 20, 2014
12 of 19
Sorry for yet another frustrating episode for you. Thankfully, so far all of my 6 clients have been patient, understanding and highly professional with my honest terms and conditions working relationship. No fuss whatsoever until the very end. I can't fault odesk as much as most contractors here, as all my job experiences have been rainbow so far, and hoping it stays this way. It's definitely a risk accepting and hiring strangers, but as a freelancer, I always state my hones terms / conditions/ delivery dateline / hours and keep to my promise which led to future ongoing jobs from the same client. Cheer up and move on, don't give up because on one or few flaky freelancers.
Tim L Member Since: Jan 13, 2013
13 of 19
It's not a few flaky freelancers. So far it's three quarters of my hires.
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
14 of 19
How are you choosing the freelancers you hire? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
Ace Contributor
Ryan B Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
15 of 19
Usually (and by no chance im referring to the OP) in my experience, low paid hunters are the most common victims. Client wanting high quality work, completed urgently and cheap? Thats not gonna happen people. Lets face it. Most of the time they need to re-hire to meet their expectation or to make it usable at the very least. Ending, more bucks spent, more time wasted.
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
16 of 19
Once again, it's almost certainly the fact that you're choosing on the basis of money. You wouldn't expect your mechanic or cleaner to work for $1 an hour, and you'd probably be suspicious of them if they asked for that much, but the anonymity of the internet seems to give people the courage to act like modern day slave-masters. I can't see your profile (though you're allowed to see mine) but if it's littered with lowly paid contractors from developing countries, then you're getting what you deserve. If you want any quality of service then try paying someone the amount you'd pay your hairdresser or pool cleaner.
Ace Contributor
Ryan B Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
17 of 19
Very well said. Although we cant generalize the "developing country" part, unfortunately majority of them are.
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
18 of 19
And here again, we have an assumption. You can't guess at what this client (Tim I believe?) is paying his contractors. I become so frustrated each and every time I see this. How are you determining he is hiring cheap service? Has he said this? No. I think pretentious thoughts and false notions create more of a problem than the actual facts themselves. So, perhaps this client is just finding that Odesk has taken a nose dive! Most of the decent contractors that have been here quite awhile (myself almost 2.5 years, and others even longer) are very aware of the drastic differences on this platform. To put everything in better perspective, hiring rates aren't always the problem. It is the integrity and presentation of some of the contractors as well--no matter what the rate of pay is.
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
19 of 19
Part of the problem here is that client profiles contain no information about the clients, and that inevitably leads to people having to fill in gaps for themselves - sometimes incorrectly, of course. " It is the integrity and presentation of some of the contractors as well..." and clients... Just keeping it balanced - there are many factors at play.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS