Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancers Increased Rates Between July & December 2015

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
1 of 5

Freelancer $ category percentages.png

While collecting the data for the monthly updates, I came across this piece of information.

$10 category decreased from 47% to 44%

$10 - $30 category increased from 43% to 45%

$30 - $60 category increased from 8% to 9%

This means that more freelancers are charging more $$ for their services. It also means that less freelancers are opting for bottom level prices. This is an overall win-win for the platform.

Of course the data has some caveats:

1. This sample is for freelancers with 100+ hours of work. (There are positives and negatives to this - it counts those freelancers who have significant activity on the platform, however it omits the many new freelancers who possibly have entry level rates)

2. Not all freelancers operate at their set profile rate, however we would assume that majority do.

It is interesting for me (and others) anyhow, since my competition for projects would be other freelancers with > 100+ hours.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 5

I have no idea how you do your magic Setu, but it's a great job.

I envy your clients :-)

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
3 of 5

@Setu M wrote:

2. Not all freelancers operate at their set profile rate, however we would assume that majority do.

If displayed rate is the base data of your analysis, I'm not sure it's accurate at all. I don't think displayed rate has much to do in what one charges. I'm probably not an example you could transpose to much providers, but I almost only charge fixed prices. My hourly rate is only a placeholder amount. 

My hourly rate, calculated from what I charge and the amount of time I spend on a job, is probably twice what is posted on my profile. I'm sure I am not the only one.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
4 of 5

@Rene K wrote:

I have no idea how you do your magic Setu, but it's a great job.

I envy your clients :-)

Thanks Rene.

@Rene K wrote:
If displayed rate is the base data of your analysis, I'm not sure it's accurate at all. I don't think displayed rate has much to do in what one charges. I'm probably not an example you could transpose to much providers, but I almost only charge fixed prices. My hourly rate is only a placeholder amount. 

That's the problem with a system like this. One approach will never cover everyone, so most times I have to assess variables by either fixed price or hourly. In your case, it would even be a plus for the system since you converted rate would be more than the displayed rate.

However I have to agree that there is no simple way of assessing how much freelancers deviate from their displayed rate. Jean had a lively thread going about this a few months ago. But I think it still stands as an overall positive for the platform, if even (only) displayed rates increase. Since clients are more likely to accept and pay higher, if most persons start displaying a higher value.

A pseudo rate increase, usually leads to a real rate increase over time.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 5

Now this is a survey I can get behind! I hope there is even an ounce of truth behind it.

I'm in the writing section, and I can say from experience that most proposals are terrible, but I've hired a few great writers and they undervalue themselves.

Raised my rates this month and already got 2 contracts with the new rate. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS