🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Freelancers Losing Connects Due To Inaccurate...
Page options
deepgagan
Community Member

Freelancers Losing Connects Due To Inaccurate Job Postings. Will Upwork Take Action?

Recently I applied to job in SEO Category which required 6 connects . The job got around 50 proposal which means 300 paid connects for Upwork. After 2 weeks , I received a message from client that they cannot consider me for job post because they are only looking for freelancers with more than 100K earnings on Upwork and Ignoring the rest which is shocking for me because - 

1. I already have 100K+ on Upwork which means client did not even check my Upwork profile before sending me this message
2. This condition was not mentioned in Job Posting due to which around 90% of freelancers lost their paid connects for job post without even getting considered for job

I can provide Screenshot of client messages to Upwork if they want , I feel Upwork should act FAIR  and should refund connects to all freelancers if it really cares about them.

I request freelancers to support this post and ask Upwork to make changes to their connects program so that it becomes Fair to Freelancers as well. The goal of existing connect program is only to increase earnings for Upwork.

9 REPLIES 9
petra_r
Community Member

I'd rather Upwork fees weren't increased sharply to pay for staff to deal with thousands of people who want to argue with members of staff that they want some connects back.

I also find it beyond bizzare that a client who does not wish to hire you and hasn't looked at your profile sends you a random message why he or she isn't going to hire you two weeks after the event.

Well I do not want to argue with you, You are not from Upwork support. I already mentioned that I can share screenshot If Upwork want to see it . Upwork anyway can see messages in our message history if they want. The point is if client has not mentioned the "100K" condiition in actual job post , it is duty of upwork to correct this mistake of client and return the paid connects to atleast those freelancers who does not  meet this criteria.

The job post is still active, upwork should also ask client to update it so other freelancers do not waste their connects.

Gagandeep:

I don't doubt that you were genuinely concerned about this.

But Petra is right.

The math just doesn't work out.

Hi Preston, since you are community guru it seems you already have numbers from Upwork to prove why it won't work. Can you please share those numbers with other freelancers as well .

According to me, if upwork is earning from connects, it should have dedicated support for cases like this where client is ignoring freelancers for condition which he did not mention in job post and refund connects for such job posts

Gagandeep S wrote:

The point is if client has not mentioned the "100K" condiition in actual job post

The point is: The client has not hired you for whatever reason. The end. Move on.

Gagandeep S wrote:

it is duty of upwork to correct this mistake of client

It is not "the duty" of Upwork. It doesn't make sense for Customer Support to investigate the outcome of a proposal. To do such a thing, fees would have to be raised to pay for the people doing stuff like that. I do not want to pay higher fees because people can't get over a client not hiring them.

The point is: Client did not hire anyone else as well . Only Upwork earned from 300 connects through this inaccurate 6-connect job posting and still earning by keeping it active . Good system for upwork

Petra R wrote:

The point is: The client has not hired you for whatever reason. The end. Move on.

Yes, you lost a dollar. Move on. The client was probably just making up some excuse to get rid of you. Learn to pick up on the "go away" vibe. If they are lying to you about not hiring you, they are probably just saying something to get you to go away.

Case in point: someone told me I was overqualified for some job. Overqualified meant "too expensive" but they were trying to be nice about the "no."

Yeah, the same thing happened to me awhile back. I applied for a job and the client messaged me to say that she was declining my bid because I had no experience creating marketing materials for the pharmaceutical industry. I actually DO have experience in that industry and if she had mentioned that in her project description, I could have attached perfect examples of what she was looking for. But, whatever. You win some, you lose some. 

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that the $30 Upwork made from that job post wouldn't cover the cost of customer service looking into the matter, just to return my 60 cents to me. If the connects chasers want Upwork to investigate every little complaint and every situation, then I think that connects should cost more money. Or, those of us who never, or rarely, contact customer service ought to get a bunch of free connects at the end of each year.

Christine A wrote:

Yeah, the same thing happened to me awhile back. I applied for a job and the client messaged me to say that she was declining my bid because I had no experience creating marketing materials for the pharmaceutical industry. I actually DO have experience in that industry and if she had mentioned that in her project description, I could have attached perfect examples of what she was looking for. But, whatever. You win some, you lose some. 

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that the $30 Upwork made from that job post wouldn't cover the cost of customer service looking into the matter, just to return my 60 cents to me. If the connects chasers want Upwork to investigate every little complaint and every situation, then I think that connects should cost more money. Or, those of us who never, or rarely, contact customer service ought to get a bunch of free connects at the end of each year.

I know freelancers cry and moan about responses, but for real I'd rather people just not message me if it's a no. Like, it's fine I'm a big girl and know the game.

For the most part, I've forgotten about bidding on their job anyway. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members