cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancers pay higher rates

Highlighted
Camila C Member Since: Jul 12, 2019
1 of 38

Hi! I'm a client but also a freelancer. I recognize when I need help from another freelancer in other things and that is why I activated this account. It has come to my attention that UPWORK is more helpful, and caring about their clients but not the freelancers. In fact, the clients also have to pay an amount when you hire someone, but the rates ar higher when you are a freelancer. So my question is this, WE, the freelancers, are the ones who get the work done, why do we have to pay more in order to work??? WE are the ones who are struggling, WE MAKE UPWORK. I need answers. This is UNACCEPTABLE!

Community Guru
Jonathan H Member Since: Jun 19, 2019
2 of 38

In a nutshell...

Because there is LOTS of freelancers so Upwork can charge what they like - Clients on the other hand are harder to come by, so Upwork looks after them!

3 of 38

Then Upwork should not allow customers to pay $5-$15 for a job, because we pay for our own connects. It's unacceptable and exploitative.

Community Guru
Jonathan H Member Since: Jun 19, 2019
4 of 38

Well, dont bid on $5-$15 jobs - if no one bids on the cheap jobs people would stop posting them. 

Community Guru
Jamie F Member Since: Mar 7, 2010
5 of 38

Camila C wrote:

Then Upwork should not allow customers to pay $5-$15 for a job, because we pay for our own connects. It's unacceptable and exploitative.

That would only result in fewer jobs being posted. It wouldn't mean these people start paying more. They'd just recruit from elsewhere instead. 

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 38

Camila C wrote:

But why do you, as an adult professional who both freelances and hire freelancers, not feel competent to simply not bid on a job that pays $5-15? Why do you feel that you need someone else to step into your relationship with a client and tell you both what is and is not allowed?

Ace Contributor
Valery K Member Since: Apr 27, 2016
7 of 38

Dear Camila!
If you work in the same design bureau during many years, are successfull, everybody like your work, and one day, you enter to cheef´s cabinet, saying, "I want to go away", the first reaction of your cheef will be WHY?? WHAT HAPPENED?? CAN I DO SOMETHING??
In the same case the reaction of Upwork will be: Go, go, nobody disturbs...

Think about it.

8 of 38

No, I don't want to go. I want our voices to be heard. I think they have to do something about it. I'm not talking just about myself, I'm talking on behalf of other freelancers as well. I think it's a great platform but somehow they have forgotten what makes this community. We make this community.

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
9 of 38

Camila C wrote:

No, I don't want to go. I want our voices to be heard. I think they have to do something about it. I'm not talking just about myself, I'm talking on behalf of other freelancers as well. I think it's a great platform but somehow they have forgotten what makes this community. We make this community.

What if I don't want you speaking on my behalf?  What if you are wrong?

What if you are right and speaking up makes no difference?

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
10 of 38

Camila C wrote:

Don't speak for me. I prefer not to sound like a trog. I pay the money for advertising and I know that. I pay for the ease of finding clients. I'm cool with the fees, so speak for yourself.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS