Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancers pay higher rates

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
31 of 38

Tiffany S wrote:

Chris, we obviously have no power to "allow" other freelancers to say or not say things.

The things you and others have decided to believe we are trying to suppress have been the subjects of dozens or hundreds of threads, many of which have been combined into massive threads with thousands of posts. There is nothing being suggested in any of these threads that hasn't been raised, discussed, suggested, and ultimately ignored or rejected by Upwork many, many times. 

Obviously, it's no skin off the noses of successful freelancers if others choose to focus on things that can't help them improve their businesses and continue to live in a constant state of frustration. And, that is exactly what is happening, because these freelancers quite frequently make reference to their misery and struggles. 

Everyone here has a choice to make: moan about what a massive entity you can't control should be doing, or figure out the most profitable way to run your own business (with or without Upwork). Frankly, I don't much care which a person chooses. I hate to see anyone fail and suffer unnecessarily, but some people are committed to it with their whole hearts and I can't change them any more than I can change how Upwork operates.

The reason I, at least (and I suspect many of my colleagues) raise counterpoints so often is that I do not want those who are content to fail as long as they can say it is someone else's fault to infect innocent newcomers.

Yes - well said. This forum is absolutely filled with useful advice for newcomers, but unfortunately there are also some really bitter people in here who aren't having much success and therefore make the false assumption that "Upwork doesn't work for me = Upwork needs to change".

I hate to break it to you, but Upwork is a business; they're not your employer, or your mom, or your friend. This website exists so that clients and freelancers can connect, and that's it. It's up to us to run our businesses properly, and the harsh reality is that if you can't do that, then you shouldn't be here. Upwork can't force clients to hire you, force clients to pay you, nor force clients to be nice to you (these seem to be the main themes of most complaints in the forum). 

Most of us who comment frequently have been around for years and have seen the same complaints in the forum over and over again. Then you look at the person who's doing the complaining and 90% of the time, it turns out that they have some combination of no talent, no experience, no business acumen, or no common sense (and that's without even getting into the vast numbers of scammers). Some of these people realize that they need to improve and they ask for - and receive - good advice. But then there are those who aren't willing to take any responsibility whatsoever for their lack of success; instead they make demands, post conspiracy theories, and insist that Upwork "sucks", then they get upset when others disagree with them.

Since this IS a public forum, we're allowed to post differing points of view without being accused of trying to "suppress" others. All of these people who waste customer service time by calling to complain that they're not getting jobs or not getting paid or clients aren't being nice to them - as well as every time that Upwork has to pay for mediation or pay freelancers themselves - that comes out of OUR fees. So we should be allowed to have our say, arguably more so than the freelancers who aren't making any money here and are just dragging this website down.

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
32 of 38
Chris,
You are allowed to say anything you want it’s an open forum. I am not sure though you actually ever say anything but just comment on what others say. I am also not sure you have helped anyone.
Seems pointless to me.
I don’t agree with Camila but at least she gave her opinion not just complaining about others.
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
33 of 38

Mark F wrote:
Chris,
You are allowed to say anything you want it’s an open forum. I am not sure though you actually ever say anything but just comment on what others say. I am also not sure you have helped anyone.
Seems pointless to me.
I don’t agree with Camila but at least she gave her opinion not just complaining about others.

I think Chris has shorted the stock and is trying to increase his profits. 

Ace Contributor
Chris P Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
34 of 38

Nobody is asking for your opinions, people,so please save them for yourselves.

Those seeking your advice will do so explicitly, so until such time.....

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Community Guru
Jonathan H Member Since: Jun 19, 2019
35 of 38

Chris P wrote:

errrrrrr, hate to point out the obvious, but this IS a discussion forum. By its very definition posting on it is going to warrant responses.

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
36 of 38

Chris P wrote:

I don't care if anyone is asking for my opinion I am going to give it anyway.  That's why I want to be here and if I allowed you to tell me I can't then I would have no purpose here.  I suppose I could just complain about what others say but what would that achieve?

No, it's an open forum and I will do what I want.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
37 of 38

Chris, you're sounding like a few rather notorious bad haired blondes ... a lot of weeping, gnashing of teeth, and trying to lay the blame for less than success anywhere other than directly where it belongs.  On their own poor decisions and worse judgement.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
38 of 38

Chris P wrote:

Absolutely brilliant follow-up to accusing others of attempting to control the forums. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS