🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Freelancers should be able to approve Project...
Page options
140copywriter
Community Member

Freelancers should be able to approve Project Catalog purchases

We all know that Upwork is mostly a client-centric platform. Thus, freelancers should be meticulous in vetting clients so that their JSS isn't destroyed overnight with negative feedback from a crazy client who doesn't even know what they want.

That is the harsh truth.

The problem with the Project Catalog is that freelancers can no longer vet their clients as the time clock starts running right after the client purchases the project, and there's no way to redo it without the obligation to leave feedback.

In the early stage, freelancers had 24 hours to approve or disapprove purchased projects, but now it's no longer the case. Even in eCommerce, sellers often reject purchases for various reasons, such as the item being out of stock, etc.

I understand the platform is trying to make the hiring process as quick as possible for clients, but let me say it clearly: freelancing is no different from slavery without the ability to vet clients.

P.S. The only way I found to deal with this was setting Project Catalog prices so high that only high-quality clients could make their way through.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Kamran S wrote:

In the early stage, freelancers had 24 hours to approve or disapprove purchased projects, but now it's no longer the case.

It isn't? Says who? Why is Upwork's documentation saying the opposite?

24 hours.png

Kamran S wrote:

let me say it clearly: freelancing is no different from slavery without the ability to vet clients.

Not only is the comparison unbelievably inappropriate, it's also complete nonsense.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
petra_r
Community Member

Kamran S wrote:

In the early stage, freelancers had 24 hours to approve or disapprove purchased projects, but now it's no longer the case.

24 hours.png

Kamran S wrote:

let me say it clearly: freelancing is no different from slavery without the ability to vet clients.

Not only is the comparison unbelievably inappropriate, it's also complete nonsense.

Petra R wrote:

24 hours.png

Oh, they've finally done that then. I haven't checked the documentation recently, but it has probably been added recently as I didn't have the option to cancel the contract in my last Project Catalog contract. It's excellent seeing Upwork listening to tons of requests from freelancers on this issue.

And thank you, Petra, for the good news!

Kamran S wrote: Oh, they've finally done that then. I haven't checked the documentation recently, but it has probably been added recently- 

No, it hasn't "been added recently".

It is all exactly how it has been from day 1.

Kamran S wrote: It's excellent seeing Upwork listening to tons of requests from freelancers on this issue.

Why would there be "tons of requests" for something that's already there and always has been? Where do you see "tons of requests"? Yours was the first I've seen... The reasons why there aren't "tons of requests" is because there is no nmeed to request something that already exists.

Well, you're certainly not right on claiming that it has been there from day 1.

I'm a user of Project Catalog from the Early Access stage, and back then, it had the privilege of canceling the purchased project within 24 hours but until it went live for everyone.

I don't really have time to research and find links, discussions of it in various forums to show as proof, but I personally experienced it. And obviously, Upwork also changed all documentation materials, so it's nowhere to be found now.

Anyway, thank you for letting me know.

Kamran S wrote:

Well, you're certainly not right on claiming that it has been there from day 1.

I'm a user of Project Catalog from the Early Access stage, and back then, it had the privilege of canceling the purchased project within 24 hours 

Exactly. And that never changed. Hence it has been there since day 1.

Kamran S wrote:

I'm a user of Project Catalog from the Early Access stage, and back then, it had the privilege of canceling the purchased project within 24 hours but until it went live for everyone.

I don't really have time to research and find links, discussions of it in various forums to show as proof, but I personally experienced it. And obviously, Upwork also changed all documentation materials, so it's nowhere to be found now.

You may be remembering that for months, whenever Upwork mentioned the 24-hour cancellation feature, they constantly and consistently presented it as being available "for now," and would not commit to whether or when it might become permanent. As I recall, this was their language before and after opening up the program to all (qualifying) comers. Presumably at some point they (quietly) stopped implying that the program could be contingent or temporary.

My memory of availability of feedback removal is less clear; I would imagine it followed the same arc.

My best guess is that if you ever found either of these features unavailable, it had to do with some particular issue of timing or communication, or a system glitch, and was not due to the features having been suspended for all.

tlbp
Community Member

If you want to vet your clients, you should not use the Project catalog. It is a catalog. That means you list, they order. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members