Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancing and Social Media

cjemery
Community Leader
Colyn E Member Since: Sep 23, 2015
1 of 8

I am having a bit of a dilemma. I just started using Twitter early this year, and am wondering how much my public Tweets have an effect on my business as a freelance writer.

Since I started using the platform, I've gained most of my followers within the comedy community (I contribute to a couple humor sites) and a lot of the discussion in which I participate is political in nature. While I value openness when it comes to using social media as a means of social and political discourse, I am starting to worry that my Tweets might potentially scare away potential clients.

Am I paranoid to think that prospective clients might be scared away from hiring me based on opinions I share over Twitter that could be interpreted as either controversial or simply contrary to their own views (particularly as business owners)?

I get a lot of copywriting work on Upwork, but also freelance as a humor writer. In comedy, it's generally okay (if not encouraged) to be open about political views. But when it comes to presenting myself online as a copywriter, I feel like I may be better off either being extra careful with political Tweets or just setting my profile to 'private' (which would make it difficult to participate in discussion, not to mention grow my following).

BTW, I realize that potential clients are more concerned with my professional portfolio, history and analytics. But branding, presentation and public persona are also important to an extent.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 8

I see people all the time QQ to Google about their info being searchable and it's funny because I've had so many background checks and even one was done by the FBI (got a gig for an airline) and nobody has said "well, we found out you're trolling blackhat forums... denied." lol

sam-sly
Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
3 of 8

@Jennifer M wrote:

I see people all the time QQ to Google about their info being searchable and it's funny because I've had so many background checks and even one was done by the FBI (got a gig for an airline) and nobody has said "well, we found out you're trolling blackhat forums... denied." lol

You crack me up sometimes! Perhaps the FBI isn't too worried about trolling black hat forums if you are clearly trolling. I very occasionally lurk on a 'blackhat SEO" forum. I accidentally found it in a Google search about an SEO question I had. Yikes! So much of what I saw made me think, 'what's the point?" Why not spend the time and energy creating something that is actually useful and of good quality rather than spending hours trying to find loopholes.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 8

I really don't think people search for you unless you claim to work for a specific site. Like I could see people looking for me on Udemy or Adobe (I don't have a byline there) or Rackspace and they'll find me.

I actually think people should lurk or even interact with the other side of things. You learn a lot. Blackhatworld is inundated with noobs and losers, but there are a couple hacker forums that are really interesting and you learn a ton. A good read on blackhatworld is the ebay section where you learn the darker arts on ebay. It'll help you avoid the ebay scammers here. That section is really good but don't get sucked in because they are all scammers.

sam-sly
Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
5 of 8

I can see the Twitter thing being an issue for some clients if your account is a fairly high profile and associated with your real name. But that will vary by the client and the job. If it is bylined, they may look at your accounts as they might also hope you will promote the work. In that case, they might be looking at whether they want to associate with you.

If it is ghostwritten copywriting, it may not matter as much unless you personally offend the client. I think most clients would not search for your social media, but if it is linked to your profile or in bios in your bylined articles they might peek. I have occasionally seen potential clients follow my Twitter account after a proposal (but social media content is part of what I offer). I don't know how often it is an issue.

I think if you are happy with the clients you attract and the work you are getting, then all is well. But I do stay away from posting about politics on my more public social media accounts. But the choice is yours.  I am not a humor writer. If you write political humor, your readers expect to see some political humor in your Twitter feed. 

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
6 of 8

My Twitter account doesn't contain my name and is not related to what I do. I am very active politically and I definitely want to separate the pro and the political sides.

Especially in the present electoral context.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
csjarmitage
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
7 of 8

This is something that concerns me so I'm super careful about anything I post on social media.  My Twitter is for business only, as is my LI.  I hardly use FB at all, and there's nothing controversial there unless someone has a particular hatred for World of Warcraft.  

I think it's very very possible that the things you post may come back to bite you.  

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
8 of 8
Colyn,

Diluted, namby-pamby humor is unlikely to recommend you to someone looking for a copywriter. Sharp, edgy, attention-grabbing, viral-ready humor just might.

Best,
Michael
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS