🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » Freelancing or Traditional Job?
Page options
mollylayton

Freelancing or Traditional Job?

I've been freelancing the last couple of months due to being unable to fulfill the time commitment for a regular job. However, soon I will have a lot more time on my hands. I'm not sure if it would be better to try going back to the traditional job market or continue freelancing.

I know that freelancing will never have the steady income or as steady hours as a traditional job (at least, not now.) I know that in my field, ghostwriting, it's very difficult to establish a portfolio. Interestingly, my traditional resume has the same issue.

Of course, supplementing a traditional income with freelancing money is a possibility, but I'm unsure if I would be able to turn in the same quality of freelance work as reliably if I'm working 40 hours a week.

6 REPLIES 6
noirre

I think the best course of action for you is something you need to think about based on your personality, aspirations and financial situations.

First of all; which one makes you happier? Are you enjoying yourself more in the brick and mortar world, or are you happier being your own boss?

What are your career goals? Can they be better achieved by working for yourself, or working for a company?

What are your other life goals? How does employment fit into them? How does freelancing?

And if you decide to go for the freelancing route, is it a financially viable option for you? Do you have enough savings to make it until you have secured enough income from it, or would it be better to find part-time employment to take some of the pressure off while you try to build yourself to that point?

When you have answers to these questions, I think you'll find the answer to your main one as well. 🙂

Molly,  I know how difficult it is, these days, to get jobs that correspond to one's own talents and ambitions, but I would say you need a little more experience in the B&M world.

I would not give up on the freelancing world either - particularly in the areas that interest you, but you will be amazed how much even the most menial job in the B&M world can enhance your experience and your writing. So why not, for a while, get a  regular income and earn a  little on the side?  

Whatever you decide to do remember that, in the fictional world, great writers do not necessarily make great editors and proofreaders.

Molly,

It looks like you are still in school, completing a degree in English Education. Completing your education will open doors for you.

I read one of your Hubpages pieces. It was lively, but your writing lacks the maturity of a seasoned writer who has worked under the scrutiny of editors. 

I advise you to stay in school, take composition courses, and continue freelancing a part-time endeavor. If staying in school is not an option, I would advise you to seek a full-time job and continue to do some freelance writing on the side. 

Incidentally, working full-time does not preclude working from home. Several companies hire full-time contractors via Upwork.

-Alan

tlsanders

I have worked full time onsite for an employer, full time from home for an employer and freelanced, and each has its advantages. 

There are just a couple of things I want to say that haven't been covered by others.

First, I agree with those who suggested that you may need a bit more experience before being able to build a solid freelancing client base. That said, full-time employment isn't the only way to achieve that. There are a number of companies that hire contract writers on an ongoing basis and provide editorial feedback.

Second, once you have that experience, there is absolutely no reason that freelancing can't provide as much income and as stable an income as a full time job. When you build a regular client base, your income and time commitment will become fairly predictable, and so long as you have at least 3-4 ongoing clients at any given time and are earning more than the bare minimum you need to get by, the sudden loss of a client won't rock the boat significantly.

As Alan has pointed out, the OP is still studying, so freelancing until 2020 (according to the profile) can (should?) only be part-time - the goal being a qualification which will lead to a satisfactory B & M job or freelancing.

david_gregory

I work freelance part time and have a part-time job as well. This gives me a bit of financial security so I'm always sure I can feed the kids. Also, it doesn't force me to take every job I see. If the freelance job doesn't look interesting or I just don't feel like doing it, I can let it go.

I think if I had to rely simply on freelancing, I might feel a bit too stressed. Of course, over the past few months, I've had so much freelancing work that I'm basically working full-time as a freelancer plus covering my part-time job. It makes for some long hours but the money is nice.