Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

French Autoentrepreneur, VAT question

thibaud_hr
Thibaud H Member Since: Aug 11, 2016
1 of 28

Hi, 

I saw a few questions related to mine but I couldn't find a precise answer. 

So here is my problem:

I incorporated as an "autoentrepreneur", it's a special status in France. As an autoentrepreneur, I don't charge VAT, and I don't have a VAT number. 

So I was wondering if I had to do anything so that Upwork doesn't charge me the VAT, as I am not charging it to my customers ? 

Thanks in advance for your help.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 28

Upwork will not charge your clients any VAT, whether you provide a VAT number or not. They will, however, add the French VAT to any service fees that they charge to you if you do not provide a valid VAT number.

You can ask your tax office (Service des Impôts aux Entreprises, SIE) to provide you a VAT number, additionally your EU based clients will actually need it.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
thibaud_hr
Thibaud H Member Since: Aug 11, 2016
3 of 28

Thank you Rene for your answer!

mtalabard
Marie Pauline T Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
4 of 28

Hi, 

I'm also in the same situation as above, and I got in touch with the SIE but they refuse to deliver a VAT number since Upwork is not a EU-based business

Do you have any experience about that kind of situation and how to manage it? 

thanks for your help! 

m_salvaudon
Marion S Member Since: Jan 17, 2017
5 of 28

Hi. I'm in the same situation. My SIE told me that I can't have a VAT number.

This widget could not be displayed.
6 of 28

@Marion S wrote:

Hi. I'm in the same situation. My SIE told me that I can't have a VAT number.

You cannot have a VAT-ID if you are not eligable to charge VAT. You need to consult a tax consultant so that he can explain to you how to proceed and to understand the basics of a business with a VAT-ID or without a VAT-ID.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
7 of 28

@Margarete M wrote:

You cannot have a VAT-ID if you are not eligable to charge VAT. 

French tax code has a provision allowing a non-eligible entity to have a VAT number.

Reference: Numéro de TVA intracommunautaire

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
mtalabard
Marie Pauline T Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
8 of 28

My SIE finally delivered a VAT number, considering that my client is a EU based company...

9 of 28

@Marie Pauline T wrote:

My SIE finally delivered a VAT number, considering that my client is a EU based company...

It is relevant if you are eligable to charge VAT to you client (and have to do VAT reporting) or not. If you have a small business you probably will not raise VAT and therefore you cannot apply reverse charge with a client from another EU country who has a VAT-ID. 

m_salvaudon
Marion S Member Since: Jan 17, 2017
10 of 28

Hi. I'm new on upwork and as a freelancer! I need help!!

I'm exempt from paying VAT in France and the tax services are telling me that they can't give me a VAT number.

What shall I do for Upwork?

Thanks

Marion

I've seen on upwork this information in the FAQ:

I’m exempt from paying VAT in my country. Are you still going to charge me?

Example: I am a declared autoentrepreneur in France. I have a number, but I do not pay VAT.

No, Upwork will not charge VAT to anyone who has provided a validated VAT number. When Upwork is audited by your government, we are required to substantiate that we have charged VAT to all VAT non-taxable persons, and that we have reverse-charged VAT to all taxable persons. The only way we can confirm and prove to your government that you are a taxable person is by collecting and validating your VAT number. Otherwise, your government will assume that Upwork is providing services to a non-taxable person and will require us to assess VAT, regardless of your personal status as an autoentrepreneur.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS