🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » French VAT Exempted
Page options
4ee734e9
Community Member

French VAT Exempted

Hello community!, 

My status in France is VAT exempted for the first year. How Can I make sure Upwork does NOT charges me the VAT fee?. Where Can I send the Data? I've tried to contact support but no luck :(.

Thanks in advance,

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Douglas I wrote:

My status in France is VAT exempted for the first year. How Can I make sure Upwork does NOT charges me the VAT fee?.

Doesn't that mean that you don't have to charge it for the first year, rather than that you don't have to pay it on services and goods you buy?

When you buy something in a shop, don't you pay VAT?

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Douglas,

We won't charge VAT if a freelancer or agency has a valid VAT number. Freelancers and agencies with VAT numbers can add them by visiting the Accounts menu > Settings > Tax Information. If the tax ID that you submit isn't in the format provided by VIES, Upwork won't be able to validate it. To learn more about this, click here, Here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
colettelewis
Community Member

Douglas I wrote:

Hello community!, 

My status in France is VAT exempted for the first year. How Can I make sure Upwork does NOT charges me the VAT fee?. Where Can I send the Data? I've tried to contact support but no luck :(.

Thanks in advance,

If you are an autoentrepreneur, you are exempt from charging VAT not from paying it. If you don't want Upwork to add  VAT (which it is obliged to by law) to your service charge, you need to add your French VAT number to your Upwork account. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths