cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

French VAT Question

jmcarter92
Active

Hi,

I have moved to France from New Zealand and I am a dual citizen holding a UK Passport.

I have pikced up some freelance work with a company in the US and have a few questions regarding VAT. (this is my first time freelancing so it's all new to me).

I undetsand that the VAT that Upwork charges me is only calculated from their services they provide to me (% of the service fee). However, what do I need to do before I start getting paid by the my Client? Do I need to register as an auto entrepreneur in France in order to start paying tax (VAT) on my earnings?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

Jordan.

2 REPLIES 2
vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jordan,

I'd suggest speaking with a local tax advisor in order to get a formal confirmation. We do have freelancers from France who can advise on the local tax laws and procedures, but I'm guessing your legal status might be an additional factor that needs to be taken into consideration.

Untitled
versailles
Community Guru

First you need to incorporate yourself, the so called "auto entrepreneur" form is a good choice. In this case, you will be exempt from the VAT. However, you will need a VAT number to deal with EU clients.

Avoid working without being incorporated and without reporting your income, you may get in trouble.

You can PM me if you need help with AE and VAT, been there already...

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS