🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Freshman at Upwork
Page options
javokhir12
Community Member

Freshman at Upwork

Hey there! I'm new to Upwork and have 0 ranking level and 0 reviews from clients. I've submitted several proposals, yet noboby decides to hire me. Could anyone explain me how to get started correctly here, on Upwork, please? I'd really appeciate if you could help me.

Thank you in advance

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ian_brown
Community Member

Hi Javokhir,

Best advice I can give is keep trying. It took me ages to get started but the main aim is just to get that first job done with a good review.

Look up some of the tutorials on how to write an application letter. Take on board what they say, I know I had a lot to learn when I first started.

It was really frustrating to be turned down time and time again. 

You're caught in a trap: nobody wants to hire you because no-one has hired you before! 

Agin, keep trying and get your letters fine tuned. Don't be overly formal but be friendly but maintain a professional manner also.

Good luck,

Ian

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ian_brown
Community Member

Hi Javokhir,

Best advice I can give is keep trying. It took me ages to get started but the main aim is just to get that first job done with a good review.

Look up some of the tutorials on how to write an application letter. Take on board what they say, I know I had a lot to learn when I first started.

It was really frustrating to be turned down time and time again. 

You're caught in a trap: nobody wants to hire you because no-one has hired you before! 

Agin, keep trying and get your letters fine tuned. Don't be overly formal but be friendly but maintain a professional manner also.

Good luck,

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thank you so much for such a useful expert advice, you reassured me. I was wondering how it’s possible to freelance here, but now you made my mind clear.

Will definitely follow your suggestion. Thanks again.

Wish you success,
Javokhir

I am in the same boat.  Is there any thing else someone can suggest to add more credibility (from other work experiences?).  Or would it be worth doing a contract or two at half price to get a foot in the door?  Thanks!

Dylan D wrote:

I am in the same boat.  Is there any thing else someone can suggest to add more credibility (from other work experiences?).  Or would it be worth doing a contract or two at half price to get a foot in the door?  Thanks!

I would lower your hourly rate a tad. I think $125 might be a little pricey when you don't have any contracts to back it up. Be sure to also make use of the portfolio option. A new freelancer's best bet is to add as many work samples as they can to ensure that clients are aware of their capabilities. 

(Side note: Be careful when taking low-priced jobs. Those types of contracts usally have bad clients behind them. You know, the ones that ask for work outside of the job scope after the contract has begun..then leave an awful review despite successfully completing the work.)

Dylan D wrote:

Your hourly rate is ambitious, which is fine if you think your work is worth it, but you need to prove that by having good examples of it in your portfolio, otherwise it falls flat.

Dylan D,

Your profile is written for technology types. In business, it is rare for a technology type to have a large checkbook. Business people have the large checkbooks. Plus, you're a competitor to the tech type; he doesn't want you near his rice bowl.

As a business executive, I don't care if you've got some primitive knockoff of a Guttenberg movable type press. That's what wordpress is, right? I want a website. Is that what you mean by web development? As for drupal, I've been noticing that about my wife when we're getting ready for bed; she's in her late sixties. Too bad you don't do websites.

I'd also like a way to kieep track of our customers and which sales rep is pursuing which lead. I'm not interested in forcing my sales people to do anything, I just want to know what they're up to, and what the probability of closing leads is. Do you have anything like that?

We specialize in products for people with disabilities. I'd really like to help them know about and get to our website, and comply with ADA and other regulations. Can you refer me to somebody who does that? Unless a Seocloud might have something to do with it. I thought you were a technology type. I'm very disappointed to see that you appear to specialize in construction. I don't live in the Southwest and have no need for adobe buildings.

Good luck finding customers for whatever it is you do.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Javokhir S wrote:

Hey there! I'm new to Upwork and have 0 ranking level and 0 reviews from clients. I've submitted several proposals, yet noboby decides to hire me. Could anyone explain me how to get started correctly here, on Upwork, please? I'd really appeciate if you could help me.

Thank you in advance

You are able to ask prior non-upwork clients for testimonials when they are active on linkedin, I believe. If you have upwork jobs, your clients will leave feedback then. I would maybe not use unproven statements that can't be verified in your profile, that might look as if you made them up. Not saying you did, but it just doesn't look good on a profile, IMO. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members