cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From 60 job invitations in 3 days, to account suspended

Marjan A Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
1 of 16

I have been working on Upwork (and oDesk) for more than year and a half. I have a very good profile, in my opinion:

- 1200+ working hours

- 27 completed jobs

- 100% job success

- 4.95 feedback score

- 95% of clients would recommend me

I wasn't receiving too much job invitations in the last few months, maybe 3-4 per month. Suddenly, on June 12, i received 12 job invitations in an hour. From 12 to 15 June, i received 60+ job invitations. I was surprised, and curious what has changed with my profile. 

I went to 'Browse freelancers', and noticed that i am ranked #8 in web, mobile & software development category. I was ranked #2 for WordPress, and #6 for PHP. Don't know how this works, maybe the results are different for each freelancer, but i had never seen my profile in the first 5 pages of the results before.

And then, on June 16, my account was suspended. Risk Management team sent me a message that they think there is a fraud between me and one of my clients. I have been working with this client for 2 months.

I have tried to contact customer support, but they couldn't help too much, and always said that 'another department' is handling my suspension.

I have been trying to contact Risk Management team through the opened ticket, and they sent a message 2 days ago, providing a link to verify my account, which wasn't working (i am redirected to home page). I have attached photos of my ID, passport, bank accounts, and also a detailed report of all transactions on my bank account and Payoneer prepaid card. No response from them for 2 days.

I have $4000 locked on my account, which i can't withdraw because of the suspension. I will definitely lose my 'Top Rated' badge for at least 3 months, because i have a recent account hold.

This is so unproffessional from Upwork, do your job quickly, and let me work. At least tell me what me, or the client did wrong.

Regards,

Marjan

Liam O Member Since: Jun 15, 2015
2 of 16

Hi,

I saw your post this morning, and wondered myself,

Can Upwork suspend freelancer's account without notice?

Upwork should investigate fraud before suspending accounts,

But if there was really fraud, how can one resolve the issues?

What kind of things have you tried to solve this problem?

If you prove that there's no fraud, why don't upwork activate the account?

I think you should contact Upwork Customer Service, and problem that you haven't commit fraud.

Hope for the best.

Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
3 of 16

Zdravo Marjan Smiley Happy

A few months ago I had the same issue and my account was suspended. They asked me to verify my ID and when I did my account was reinstalled (it took them one week to solve the issue but I can tell you I was a pain. I kept updating the ticket and writing on the forum). If you haven’t broken any rule I am sure they will be able to solve your problem.

It is always a good idea to post things on this forum, as mods can often help you make some progress with your open ticket.

Good luck! Smiley Very Happy

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 16

Hi Marjan,

I have checked it for you and the team is currently working on your ID verification. There is a technical issue but they will update you through the ticket soon.

Thank you for your patience.

~ Valeria
Untitled
5 of 16

Hi Valeria,

Can you check the status of the ticket for me?

I don't understand why the verification has to be done on the link that Risk management team gave to me (which isn't working). Can't they just open all of the attached files to the ticket? https://support.upwork.com/requests/4434700

I can't wait 1-2 months until they fix the bug, and it's not my fault that Upwork has a bug on their website. Risk management team should show some understanding and use the files uploaded to the ticket.

Thanks,

Marjan

6 of 16

Liam, i think i already know every person who works at Customer Service  Smiley Happy

They say that Risk Management team is handling my suspension, and they can't help with it. It was requested from me and the client to complete a verification, that is in the Terms & Conditions:

'When you register for an Account and from time to time thereafter, your Account will be subject to verification, including, but not limited to, validation against third-party databases or the verification of one or more official government or legal documents that confirm your identity.'

It's ok that they want to verify my account, i don't understand why now, when i started getting so many invitations,  and why it has to take so long, with all the documents i have provided (ID, passport, bank accounts, and transaction reports of my bank accounts).

Aleksandra, zatoa i im pisuvam, moze ke pomogne nekoj Smiley Happy

Valeria, thank you! I appreciate your help, hope that this will be resolved soon.

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
7 of 16

This is why I never ... EVER... leave money sitting in my account. If you are found "guilty" the money is gone forever.

8 of 16

You are right, but i don't do anything illegal, so i don't worry about having money on my account. 

Btw, i have $4300 locked on my account, and $3000 of those were received since my account was blocked. 

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
9 of 16

Many have done nothing wrong but they still lose their accounts or it takes many many weeks to get the issued fixed. Just hope you don't receive a message that the decision is final and your account is closed.

10 of 16

Has anyone else had this problem before:

My account got suspended last week, because Risk Management team suspects that my account is linked to a client's account. They requested me to comlete a verification of my ID, but the link they gave to me is not working (i am redirected to Find Work page).

They say that they are working on the issue, but, how long will it take to fix the bug? I have uploaded so many files on the opened ticket about the issue (ID, passport, credit cards, bank account, utility bill, reports from bank accounts..), why can't Risk managment team use those files for the verification process ?! 

Thanks,

Marjan

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS