🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » From hourly to milestone
Page options
ailcua
Community Member

From hourly to milestone

Is there any way Upwork can do something about clients posting a job with an hourly rate then once you get interviewed they'll tell you that the job is on a per milestone basis? then proposes a very low budget for a ridiculously amount of work...connects are not cheap 🤗

6 REPLIES 6
ashrafkhan81
Community Member

I prefer to work on Hourly contracts and when I apply for any project I look at the client's hiring history if most of the hiring was on fixed fee jobs I skip sending proposal. It is not worth the trouble to craft a custom proposal, attend zoom calls, and be told they only work on a fixed fee. 

But I have applied to several fixed fee jobs and was able to convenience the client to hire me on hourly which they did without much persuasion! 

Applied for hourly but during interview client will tell me that it is a fixed rate job...and some of them do have hourly rates on their profile feedback...been experiencing this only this year that's why I prefer applying for invited job posts since we don't get free connects now unlike before

d3d3b59e
Community Member

I have a question, if the client offers $6 per hour, does that mean I will recieve $6 or will it be minus the fee? 

Im new to this and have a zoom in a few minutes.  

You will get it minus the fee. So, 6 - 20% = $4.8 per hour.

Once you make $500 from this particular client, your fee will drop down to 10% on further earnings.

You will earn $6 MINUS the fees. Always minus the fee. When you apply for the job there is a spot where you propose the hourly rate you will work for and below that Upwork shows what you will receive. 

bilal1983
Community Member

Yes, this is an issue where clients sometimes post an hourly project and then later say they want it to be fixed price or vice versa. One consolation is that at least the freelancer redeems 10 connects bu interviewing with the client.

I find that this works both ways, and that the freelancer can do the same... apply for a job, demonstrating that you're a good fit, and then request/convince/persuade the client to agree to your preferred contract (hourly or fixed-price).

It all depends on communication and how well you can connect with the client and how flexible they are, and of course this might work for some and not for others.

I currently have a client who was new to Upwork. They posted for an hourly based contract (did not mention budget). During interview I told them we have two options and I explained pros and cons of both. And most importantly I convinced them that I can do a good job.

Later, they asked how do you want to set it up, and I said I prefer fixed-price for the type of work on their contract, but I said this is more suitable when both of us have an idea of how things work and if we can build trust and are a good fit. So I suggested hourly contract initially and worked for a week. They were happy with the work. We then knew how much time it took approximately to perform the tasks.

Based on that, we determined a fixed rate contract, which is still active. I suggested to the client to keep the hourly contract active too, in case there is some work down the line of which we don't know the scope.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths