🐈 Community
sshaw1857900

Frustrated with scams

I have applied for numerous jobs over the last 8 months or so and have only had 1 valid job come through.  I have had many offers - that all appear to be scams!  Especially lately.  I am wondering if there is really legitimate work on this site.  Wondering about others general experience ....

2 REPLIES 2
mtngigi

In 8 months you haven't learned to recognize a good job post from a scam?

I'm going to suggest that you learn the signs (there's plenty of information in these forums) for honing in on the good to great jobs, because there's plenty of them. And conversely, learn what to look for in clients and postings that you know will be a waste of your time and connects.

I have yet to apply to a job that turned out to be a scam, and I've been on this site and Elance a long time. Admittedly I've had problem clients, but that's the nature of freelancing. PITA clients yes, but not scammers.

Do your due diligence in looking at as much as you can about the client and asking questions up front. I guarantee you chances will improve.

aocumen
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sheri-lyn, 

If you haven't already, please lodge a ticket with support to report these scams so that actions can be taken against the job post and the client's account. 

Please have a look at tips and warning signs shared in this thread and Upwork Trust & Safety FAQ to help you work safely on Upwork. 

You may also want to check out some of our educational videos and blog posts, and best practices shared by other users, to help you get started on Upwork - 

~ Avery
Upwork
Learning Paths