Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrated writer

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Anne M Member Since: Jun 25, 2010
1 of 19

Hey guys,

I have been working on this platform for a decade now and truth be told, getting hired is becoming extremely difficult. I would probably have more luck herding cats.

I have sent numerous proposals in the last two months  I haven't been hired even once.  I know that a majority of the clients in the writing category look for cheap labor. So I wonder, is this why I'm not getting hired? I charge 32/hr and for fixed jobs, I negotiate with the clients. But is it that my rate is an issue or is it possible that the clients cannot see my proposals? Or are my proposals getting filtered out because of my location? 

Are there any other freelance writers facing the same problem? Two months without landing a single job for a freelancer who has been working consistently on this platform for ten years is a bit worrying. For me anyway. I need some solid and helpful advice guys. Is this juice worth the squeeze anymore? 

Sunny L Member Since: Apr 28, 2016
2 of 19

Hello Anne,

My first reply in the community!

After reading your post here, I think the major reason you are not gettting hired or being noticed by clients is because of your hourly rate. There are other writers who charge very very less and also are proactive with their skills and experience.

I think you should try by submitting proposals with half the rate, Yes $16/hour and see if you get some replies. Something is always better than nothing.

Good Luck!

Ace Contributor
3 of 19

Hi Sunny,

Thanks for your feedback. Given the crazy competition that's here on Upwork for jobs. I might just do that. But last year I was getting hired. The rate was not an issue. So I'm not really sure what to do. But thanks for the suggestion.Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
4 of 19

Anne M wrote:

Hi Sunny,

Thanks for your feedback. Given the crazy competition that's here on Upwork for jobs. I might just do that. But last year I was getting hired. The rate was not an issue. So I'm not really sure what to do. But thanks for the suggestion.Smiley Happy

I go through dry spells. It gets scary at times; then the work comes flooding back in. I really think:

1. It's the nature of freelance: feast, famine, feast again (hopefully).

2. Competition is TREMENDOUS when it comes to freelancing, and everyone fancies him/herself a writer. And the category is growing, according to stats, anyway.

3. Weird glitchy things seem to have happened lately. For instance, supposedly the whole "What? I got zero views last week?" debacle didn't result in fewer actual views, but I had a huge slowdown during this period, so...who knows.

I do NOT think you should lower your rate. Please don't do that. You're in a kind of murky area for rates. You're a little too expensive for the bottom of the barrel but you're a little too inexpensive for the "I want a top tier writer" faction. I wonder whether you should actually bump your rate a bit and see what happens. What do you have to lose? 

Good luck!

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 19

Sunny L wrote:

Hello Anne,

After reading your post here, I think the major reason you are not gettting hired or being noticed by clients is because of your hourly rate. There are other writers who charge very very less and also are proactive with their skills and experience.

I think you should try by submitting proposals with half the rate, Yes $16/hour and see if you get some replies. Something is always better than nothing.

Good Luck!

lol

6 of 19

Hello Jennifer,

As I am new to the community, does your "lol" anywhere means my reply to the post is "irrelevant" or "childish" anywhere.

I would love to learn what could be the best solution here regarding the post.

Thanks!

Community Guru
Brian F Member Since: Jun 4, 2013
7 of 19

Sunny L wrote:

Hello Anne,

Good Luck!

No offense but this answer is way off and makes a lot of assumptions.  I have been charing between $55-$90 for a few years, and I'm still gettign work, but it has become much harder because the type and quality of writing contracts has severely declined in the past year and esepcially the past six months.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 19

Brian F wrote:

Sunny L wrote:

No offense but this answer is way off and makes a lot of assumptions.  I have been charing between $55-$90 for a few years, and I'm still getting work.

Ah, but you are a native English speaker and US based and have very different credentials. That is what (the right) clients expect to pay (a lot) more for.

They don't expect to pay anywhere near that for freelancers who are not native speakers, don't have your background and are not US based.

9 of 19

Hello Petra,

Yes what you said is what I was suggesting to Anne. Just "try" to submit proposals with low rate and see if this makes any changes, because there are many reasons one getting paid high hourly rate.

Thanks!

Ace Contributor
10 of 19

"They don't expect to pay anywhere near that for freelancers who are not native speakers, don't have your background and are not US-based." 

Surely, we live in a global market. 

You will not believe the amount of time, effort, and resources that people put into learning a new language or acquiring new skills to be able to compete on a global level.  To assume that because I'm not based in the US or I'm not a native English speaker,  I don't deserve to be paid well for my work is super disturbing. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS