🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Frustratingly Lower Bids- Spoiling Upwork
Page options
kumarrishi40
Community Member

Frustratingly Lower Bids- Spoiling Upwork

Hi All,

I have been applying on Business Development projects. I recently subscribed to premium membership. It is so disheartening to see freelancers bidding as low as $3 on these projects. Later, I came to know from few clients that freelancers from Pakistan, Bangladesh, Phillipines & India who work around data entry projects are bidding on such projects. On almost every project I see such low bids. The clients sometimes specify a particular price but still that won't budge them to increase their bids. This is spoiling freelancing culture. Upwork should do something about it. I am sure those clients who hire such freelancers regret later but It ends up in connects wastage. Can anyone help me using a better approach in avoiding such situations.

Should I also start bidding so low ?

6 REPLIES 6
a_lipsey
Community Member

Rishi K wrote:

Hi All,

I have been applying on Business Development projects. I recently subscribed to premium membership. It is so disheartening to see freelancers bidding as low as $3 on these projects. Later, I came to know from few clients that freelancers from Pakistan, Bangladesh, Phillipines & India who work around data entry projects are bidding on such projects. On almost every project I see such low bids. The clients sometimes specify a particular price but still that won't budge them to increase their bids. This is spoiling freelancing culture. Upwork should do something about it. I am sure those clients who hire such freelancers regret later but It ends up in connects wastage. Can anyone help me using a better approach in avoiding such situations.

Should I also start bidding so low ?

No. Those clients are not your clients. Their market is for low-cost freelancers. You should focus on clients who are willing to pay higher rates (or rates close to yours) and only bid on those jobs. Jobs with low rates are a waste of your time to even think about unless you are willing to work at that rate. Those jobs are for someone, but not for you if that's not an acceptable rate for you. 

You are definitely in a competitive field that tends to generate low rates. So your challenge is to justify why your rate is worth it. Your profile is good but I think you could call more attention to why you are worth more. Do you have a better return rate that you can cite? Can you reframe your profile to, instead of listing where you worked and what you did, show how you have unique expertise and how that will benefit the client? Think about what the ideal client would be for you and think about what they would want to read on your profile and proposals to pick you. You have one gig under your belt so you're a step ahead of many freelancers here. 

Even I saw it a lot these days. Thank you for your insights, Amanda

As a client, I have hired over 100 freelancers on Upwork.

I think it would be pretty awesome if it was actually possible to hire freelancers at $3/hour to do $50/hour work.

But it isn't possible.

If I need a freelancer to help me do "Task X", then I need to hire a freelancer who is actually capable of doing that work at the level of quality I need. For most type of work that I need done, I would simply be wasting my time if I hired freelancers at the lowest rates possible. I wouldn't be able to use their work. They wouldn't be able to do what I need. And I would need to hire higher-cost freelancers to re-do the work.

Hi Rishi. You should bid what you think you worth. That's it. Nevermind the others. In fact, I think that viewing other bids is actually useless. I would never arrange my price according to what others bid in order to win. It becomes a race to the bottom. That's why I find hard to believe when someone in this community recommends to do so. This is not new, it has been like that for years. Upwork can't do anything about that other than discourage short gigs that belongs to that category "a la 5r." That's what they do for now.

tommydesign78
Community Member

I feel your frustration, Rishi

lysis10
Community Member

Who cares? Someone always bids $3/hour. If this was the only factor in getting a job, nobody would make more than $3/hour.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members