🐈 Community
m_pymek

Full of Irony

Isn't it ironic?

- That the site claiming to implement a better algorithm to find great freelancers, couldn't find employees good enough to keep their site up and bug free.

- That Upwork can't follow it's own advise: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Upwork-Article-on-Unhappy-Clients-amp-Response-Time/m-p/...

- That the merge-project to get to $10 Billion in profit, is now resulting in: lost profit on unnecessary development costs, and lost profit due to downtime caused by the unnecessary development in the first place.

- That their name is Upwork, but they're earning a reputation for being down.

Upwork, you have to admit, you're just spitting in the wind.

7 REPLIES 7
neukaitzer

The merger should not have occurred in the first place. I can see why Upwork is falling behind its rival site, Freelancer.com, in terms of site features, tests, interactivity, etc. One of the benefits of Upwork is that its competence tests are free of charge. I am not sure how it compares with similar tests on Freelancer.com. Paid tests are perceived differently than non-paid ones. Fortunately Upwork has fewer scammers and opportunists than Freelancer.com.

I don't remember the acquisition as being a hostile takeover.  You want to blame someone for the merger?  Blame the CEO of Elancer for selling the shop.  He and his fellow shareholders made pretty good coin out of it.

@Richard A wrote:

I don't remember the acquisition as being a hostile takeover.  You want to blame someone for the merger?  Blame the CEO of Elancer for selling the shop.  He and his fellow shareholders made pretty good coin out of it.

Do you have numbers? It seems unlikely that the profitable platform (oDesk) paid "pretty good coin" for the unprofitable one (Elance), unless it was to get back the corporate clients Elance had managed to snag. My guess is that debt, equity and executive buyouts just got reshuffled by and among the VC investors in both platforms. 

Yep, Douglas it feels like a VC deck-shuffling kind of deal. It probably looked like a great idea on paper. 

Getting financials on privately held companies is next to impossible.  But considering that Freelancer.com rejected a buyout bid of $400 million (http://www.zdnet.com/article/recruit-co-reportedly-closing-in-on-400m-freelancer-com-buyout/) it's not difficult to guess at the scope of Elance/oDesk merger deal.

In my opinion, an unstable Upwork is absolutely miles ahead of the likes of Freelancer. Freelancer is an abysmal site. I hate the navigation, can't stand that they charge for tests and for people to pay to boost their application. Not to mention that the rates over there are worse than those here.

"an unstable Upwork is absolutely miles ahead of the likes of Freelancer"

I understand what you mean, but really, if the Freelancer site is working, then I think it can't even compare to Upwork, whose site hasn't worked correctly for the past few weeks. At least freelancers on Freelancer are bidding on and getting jobs, even if those jobs are paying minute amounts of $$.

Learning Paths