🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Fund transfer from USD to AUD
Page options
cvsanthosh
Community Member

Fund transfer from USD to AUD

Hi,

I am a freelancer based out of Australia. Recently I got paid for the work done on upwork. The currency conversion from USD to AUD provided by upwork is pathetic. In net, I am in loss for about $40 AUD compared with the rates provided by other transfers such as fx, efx etc. My question is below.

1. I have a personal account in USA. Could I get paid from upwork to my USA personal account.
2. Transfer money from my USA personal account to Australian Business account.

Now my question is
1. Will I be subject to taxation in USA since the funds are going to my personal account there.

Please advise on above/ any other better alternatives for the funds transfer including www.airwallex.com etc.

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Vasanth, 

Note that the difference in exchange rates is not something Upwork can control. When a bank converts a transaction, they will mark up the interbank rate to buy or sell a currency. Online calculators will not take into consideration the mark up that is applied. Since rates constantly change throughout any given day, the rate you received is the rate offered by our bank at the time your specific transaction was processed.

I checked your account and can see that you have your Paypal account as one of the options for your payment method. You may want to try withdrawing directly to your Paypal account instead and compare the rates from there. 

By design our system will provide payment options based on the location we have on file. If the option to add a U.S. bank account is available to you, you may add a U.S. bank account to your Upwork account. You may want to check with a local advisor if you have further questions about U.S. taxes/earnings. You may read this help article for more information about Direct to US Bank withdrawals. To check if the option is avialable to you, please go to your Settings > Get Paid > Add Method page.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members