🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Funded amount different than what client ...
Page options
shell_k_rogers
Community Member

Funded amount different than what client says they are paying

I started a contract and the agreement was $30 for one part and $10 for another. 500 words in 3 pieces. 2 of these pieces going together for one price. The milestone set says $10 funded. I have submitted the first piece of work which the client has no issues with. The problem is I expect $40 after all pieces are submitted. I have voiced my concern to the client. He has stated that $40 is the amount that will be given AFTER I submit all 3 pieces. There is only 1 milestone set. He is unwilling to create another one.

This is setting off red flags. I may be mistaken but if $10 is funded, then when i submit all 3, i would only receive $10 for them unless the client adds bonuses? I really don't want to end a contract as I've just started, but I am also not going to hand over additional work for free.

Any clarification is appreciated. I have looked everywhere and can't find anything on this type of issue.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I sympathize, but that doesn't change my advice - DO NOT work unless the escrow account is funded. Perhaps you could explain to him that he is not actually paying you because the amount is being held in escrow, so you will, in fact, NOT get paid until the job is complete. You can tell him that that's Upwork's rule, not yours, and if the others are ignoring it, then they're doing it wrong.

In the future, perhaps do not take on projects for such a low amount of pay? Clients who want to exploit freelancers and don't value their time and abilities are simply not good clients, so there's no point in accepting their projects.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Ask him to set up a second milestone and fund the escrow account for the remaining $30. Do not begin working until he does this. End of story.

I did ask for a milestone to be added for the additional amount. The client said that was not possible. I have uploaded a screenshot of the messages. The clients name and picture have been covered for obvious reason.

**Edited for community guidelines**

Shellie R wrote:
I did ask for a milestone to be added for the additional amount. The client said that was not possible. I have uploaded a screenshot of the messages. The clients name and picture have been covered for obvious reason.

The client is either lying or hopelessly confused about how the platform works. 

I sympathize, but that doesn't change my advice - DO NOT work unless the escrow account is funded. Perhaps you could explain to him that he is not actually paying you because the amount is being held in escrow, so you will, in fact, NOT get paid until the job is complete. You can tell him that that's Upwork's rule, not yours, and if the others are ignoring it, then they're doing it wrong.

In the future, perhaps do not take on projects for such a low amount of pay? Clients who want to exploit freelancers and don't value their time and abilities are simply not good clients, so there's no point in accepting their projects.

Thank you very much and you offer sound advice. I don't think I could possibly be any clearer in my explanation of the problem to the client. When he had stated others were doing it I got the feeling this may be an exploitation. This is why I did not continue doing the work. It seemed like a simple enough job so I went for it. Lesson learned. My work may not be expert level but it's not worthless. Again, thank you for your quick response and excellent advice.

There's a chance that he did misunderstand you, because it sounds like he thinks that you're asking for payment before the work is done. Send him a link that explains how escrow works, then see what he says.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068208-Escrow-for-Fixed-Price-Jobs

I thought that too at the very beginning.

To be clear I was ok with the amount as long as the total would end up being 40

**Edited for community guidelines**

shell_k_rogers
Community Member

Thank you all for your responses. It is appreciated.
kat303
Community Member

Shellie R wrote:
I started a contract and the agreement was $30 for one part and $10 for another. 500 words in 3 pieces. 2 of these pieces going together for one price. The milestone set says $10 funded. I have submitted the first piece of work which the client has no issues with. The problem is I expect $40 after all pieces are submitted. I have voiced my concern to the client. He has stated that $40 is the amount that will be given AFTER I submit all 3 pieces. There is only 1 milestone set. He is unwilling to create another one.

This is setting off red flags. I may be mistaken but if $10 is funded, then when i submit all 3, i would only receive $10 for them unless the client adds bonuses? I really don't want to end a contract as I've just started, but I am also not going to hand over additional work for free.

Any clarification is appreciated. I have looked everywhere and can't find anything on this type of issue.

-----------------

Always check escrow to see what was FULLY funded either for the entire job or for each milestone as they come up BEFORE starting work. It doesn't matter what amount was agreed on, you will only get paid from what is in escrow. Don't rely on promises of bonuses. A client doesn't have to issue a bonus even if they told you they would. 

Escrow not FULLY funded. then NO work until it is. 

shell_k_rogers
Community Member

I would like to take the opportunity to update the situation.

The client messaged me apologizing for his error in the amount set. That he was mistaken. The full amount is showing as paid for the work that I submitted.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths