🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Funds and contract on hold, Upwork investigat...
Page options
stevan79bgd
Community Member

Funds and contract on hold, Upwork investigating....

Hello.

I have a slight problem here.

I worked with a client on video editing and logged my hours thru the app as intended. He had additional work that he asked me if I want to work on which I accepted since it is video editing but not related to his YT channel.

Anyway, we were into editing a long time since the video was complex and in the end, he was very happy with it he granted me a very heavy bonus, which, believe me, I earned well.

Now Upwork put the contract on hold and is investigating, I don't know what...

Can someone from Upwork please help me out since my funds are on hold for that job as well and i don't know when funds are going to be released from Pending state.

Thank you upfront for answers.

Stevan Nikolovski
16 REPLIES 16
bookkeepers10
Community Member

Hi Stevan,

i am a member who faced this issue before. contracts usually become on hold due to technical issue with the card of the client. therefore, Upwork advices freelancers to stop working for a client if the contract on hold. however, don't worry, Upwork will solve the problem and get you back your money if the problem is not related to your profile.

you may find more information on holding contracts in the below link:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068348-Contract-Paused#:~:text=For%20clients,have%20...

all the best 🙂 

I don't know what are they holding when funds are uploaded or they wouldn't be pending at all. And i know he didn't have issues with the card. Upwork made a contract on hold from the next day i got that bonus. And now everything came to standstill. I am really frustrated i can't get my money which is funded.

Stevan Nikolovski
petra_r
Community Member

Stevan N wrote:

Can someone from Upwork please help me out since my funds are on hold for that job as well and i don't know when funds are going to be released from Pending state.

Thank you upfront for answers.

If you logged your hours correctly, (tracked, meaningful work memos, activity levels etc) you will be paid for that part regardless of what happens.

The bonus however, is a different matter.

Go to your Pending Tab-

Look in the left hand column

Is there a date or does it say "Pending?" If its been more than a day or two, there should be a date. If there is no date, the client didn't actually REALLY pay that bonus (credit card or payment method declined)

There is no protection for bonus payments.

Nidhal A wrote:

...don't worry, Upwork will solve the problem and get you back your money if the problem is not related to your profile.

You're wrong. It will only get solved if the client pays.

It is in Pending section of reports just as all other funds before payout.

Stevan Nikolovski

Stevan N wrote:

It is in Pending section of reports just as all other funds before payout.

Yes.

Is there a DATE in the left hand column next to the bonus or isn't there?

left hand.png

No, just says pending.

Stevan Nikolovski

Stevan N wrote:

No, just says pending.

How long ago was that "paid?" If more than a day or two so ago, then the client never paid that. (Payment method declined)

OUCH - a $ 1000 bonus on a $ 150 job?

It was 10 days ago (previous Wednesday), that is why it is bothering me since it says 5 days for bonuses. Anyway, i reached out to a client and I will see if he responds. To sort this out with Upwork.

Stevan Nikolovski

Stevan N wrote:

It was 10 days ago (previous Wednesday), that is why it is bothering me since it says 5 days for bonuses. Anyway, i reached out to a client and I will see if he responds. To sort this out with Upwork.

It would be 5 days from the time Upwork was able to collect the payment. Clearly that hasn't been possible so far.

Lol i know, i was surprised myself. The job was hourly, video editing for YT, but he had some Birthday video to be done ASAP since his cousin had a birthday on that day, and other Freelancer that supposed to do that job left them hanging. So he asked me to do it ASAP. Even asked me to do it apart from UW to be paid over PAYPAL directly, but i refused, i said best thru UW contract we already have. So we were editing a long time and in the end he was very happy to finish video in time and end result, so he granted me that bonus. So now is unclear to me how Upwork allows this to be "granted" but not funded...

Stevan Nikolovski

Stevan N wrote:

Lol i know, i was surprised myself. The job was hourly, video editing for YT, but he had some Birthday video to be done ASAP since his cousin had a birthday on that day

Seriously, who pays $ 1000 for a video for their cousin's birthday? Bonuses can't be funded and can't be disputed....

I don't know. He was hard to work with, very demanding. As you can see on his profile what certain Freelancer  **Edited for Community Guidelines** wrote.

So  **Edited for Community Guidelines** said in the end - **Edited for Community Guidelines**

I thought he was going to throw in a 50 or 100, but i really didn't expect 1000.

So i know it is okay, i earned it, believe me. And i didn't question it for a second.

My conclusion is that Upwork needs to change its policy about all payments.

If the client wants something, please upload funds, then this kind of situation could be avoided.

I know he has money, money is no problem for him. I just don't know why Upwork allows this kind of stuff.

Stevan Nikolovski

Stevan N wrote:

My conclusion is that Upwork needs to change its policy about all payments.

If the client wants something, please upload funds, then this kind of situation could be avoided.

I know he has money, money is no problem for him. I just don't know why Upwork allows this kind of stuff.

It's up to you to manage your contracts. The way to do it would have been to either log your hours, or ask for a funded fixed rate contract, then the funds WOULD have been there. 

Bonuses are not designed for payments, they are really just meant as a tip.

You may think the guy has money, but his history doesn't reflect that. I'd never have accepted a contract from that kind of client. His history speaks for itself.

Thank you for all answers.

Now the situation is becoming to be more clear.

I guess i will never get that money.

And i will take more care of with whom I'm working.

Anyways it leaves bad taste...

But Upwork can do something about it.

I don't blame UW, don't get me wrong.

But they can take care of it so these things don't repeat regardless of whoever works with whom. Catch my drift? I propose easy solution. If a client wants something, he must pay for it, just as you go to a store or anywhere else. Upwork can fix that if they want.

Cheers, i won't bother you anymore. Problem "solved". Now i know where i stand.

Stevan Nikolovski
tlbp
Community Member

Stevan N wrote:

Thank you for all answers.

Now the situation is becoming to be more clear.

I guess i will never get that money.

And i will take more care of with whom I'm working.

Anyways it leaves bad taste...

But Upwork can do something about it.

I don't blame UW, don't get me wrong.

But they can take care of it so these things don't repeat regardless of whoever works with whom. Catch my drift? I propose easy solution. If a client wants something, he must pay for it, just as you go to a store or anywhere else. Upwork can fix that if they want.

Cheers, i won't bother you anymore. Problem "solved". Now i know where i stand.

What Upwork does about it is to tell freelancers to make sure they have a funded contract or an hourly agreement before they begin work. 

thanks for correcting me 🙂 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members