🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Funny feeling about a possible client
Page options
ailis-mckinney
Community Member

Funny feeling about a possible client

I had applied for a job needing content writers. Their payment method is unverified. They have contacted me but something just seems off. I don't want to blow this job. Is there a way to verify they are legit? They sent sent me form to fill out but it is asking for my home address. I am not going to fill it out but is there a way I can find out who they are?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ashrafkhan81
Community Member

Payment not verified is not a big concern here, when they hire you it will get verified eventually! 

The problem is them asking for personal information, and asking you to fill out forms, which is suspicious. I have been freelancing for the past few years, and over one year on Upwork now! I've never ever had to fill out any form or provide any personal information. 

I have worked with well-known large companies, small companies, startups and all sorts of businesses never had to fill a form!

The form thing is a red flag for me, when you submit the address they will ask for an ID then probably bank details to send direct credits! They try to slowly build trust and soon you'll find yourself scammed! 

Don't waste time on it! just cut the communication and move on! 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
corati
Community Member

Hi Ailis,

Well, payment not verified plus asking to fill out a form (without hiring you) : I wouldn't bother finding out who they are.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

No, you can't. You need to trust your instinct. 

Never communicate outside of upwork before hire, and you're safe from scammers. 

Somehow I think you forgot this important rule. 

ashrafkhan81
Community Member

Payment not verified is not a big concern here, when they hire you it will get verified eventually! 

The problem is them asking for personal information, and asking you to fill out forms, which is suspicious. I have been freelancing for the past few years, and over one year on Upwork now! I've never ever had to fill out any form or provide any personal information. 

I have worked with well-known large companies, small companies, startups and all sorts of businesses never had to fill a form!

The form thing is a red flag for me, when you submit the address they will ask for an ID then probably bank details to send direct credits! They try to slowly build trust and soon you'll find yourself scammed! 

Don't waste time on it! just cut the communication and move on! 

Thank you. Cutting contact and walking away.

data_divas
Community Member

Did they send you an offer?  You should not fill anything out or give any info other than discussing the job until you have an offer and even then be careful, they don't need your home address to pay you.  Payment comes through Upwork and they have all your information, clients don't need it unless you are signing an NDA then maybe.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members