Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Furious with oDesk about "Free work"

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Ray C Member Since: Apr 10, 2009
1 of 19
I recently reported a job that was asking for free work in the form of a "test job". The job would have been worth about $40-$50. It turns out the prospective client claims the "test project" was at the suggestion of an oDesk representative! I feel this is a direct violation of oDesk policy and is very telling, to me, where oDesk puts it emphasis. I will have to reconsider my 4-year stint freelancing through oDesk if this is the thanks I get. Shame on you, oDesk.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Junelle A Member Since: May 31, 2009
2 of 19
the client probably misunderstood. as far as i know, oDesk does not encourage nor tolerate "free work". they do advise clients to "test" contractors - on a paid trial - before hiring them full time.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain." - Maya Angelou
Try harder, or care less.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
3 of 19
Unfortunately this was no misunderstanding. I complained and actually spoke with the odesk employee by email. I have formally complained to odesk and received two phone calls. There is a serious problem with odesk inerpretation of "free wok" if this practice incouragement by a representative of odesk. I am waiting to hear an official response and apology from odesk. Being required to do a half hour of free wok, just to be considered for a job, will spell the death of oDesk.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
4 of 19
Reminds me of when someone posted a job that would only pay if the project ever made a profit. When I complained to oDesk support, I was told it was allowed.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
5 of 19
NO WAY!!?? I should use that on my bank when they want payment on my business loan. Ha!
Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 19
Yes, they really told me that. I had expected oDesk to simply remove the post, no questions asked. The client clearly stated in the job post - it was for a fixed price job - that the freelancer would not receive the budgeted amount until the business earned enough money. Support told me that was equivalent to a commission- based job, and those were allowed.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
7 of 19
I have received wording from oDesk, say: "…it has now been clearly established that free work trials and free sample request may not be posted in a job post on Odesk." oDesk must be held to this. There is still a need to educate their own associates about this issue.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Nov 5, 2011
8 of 19
Wonder where that one is posted on odesk? That contradicts what they stated some months ago or last year.
Highlighted
Ayesha S Member Since: Nov 22, 2009
9 of 19
Hi everyone, Just to clarify, we do not allow job posts asking for free work or free work samples. See Sect. #2 in Client Policies here. If you see a job post asking for free work, we encourage you to flag it for oDesk to review. Thanks!
oDesk Forum Moderator Always reach for the skies, for even if you fall, you'll still be on the top of the world...
Highlighted
Community Guru
10 of 19
Ayesha, why are commission only jobs allowed, or jobs that don't guarantee payment unless the client makes sufficient profit allowed? The client can say they never made any money and never pay the freelancer. The client can close the job after work is done and never pay anything. Is oDesk going to have staff monitor the client's financial accounts after the job is done? I don't think so. I have worked with sales people in the brick and mortar world, and in reputable commission-based jobs, commission is paid on top of a base salary.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS