🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » GOT A SCAM BY SOMEONE NAMED **Edited**
Page options
biaa_13
Community Member

GOT A SCAM BY SOMEONE NAMED **Edited**

HI everyone

i just want to tell you some information, maybe this will be helpful for everyone who reading this post.

i know this is my fault, too trust on somenone that i just know

on 7 june, i apply jobs to someone who looking for a simpler Typer and Re-Typer. and someone who named is  **Edited for Community Guidelines** (male, seems 50 years old, have white mustache) in the profile picture just accept my proposal and chat me in Upworks, but he said he want to move to Telegram, so i just move to Telegram.

and in Telegram, he said he offering me to translate some document in PDF to Russian languange, he offering some a few project plans. and there's many choice from Plan A Translate 30 pages in 3 days salary  is $1200 until Plan D Translate 130pages in 15 days salary $3,500.  I know this is a huge amount, but i don't how price usually someone will be payed for translating some document. and there's ID card fees $20. He said this is to get theirs company  premium ID card and had to be activated, and the activation will cost a little money beacuse it will not be done by the company and the amount will be refunded along with my salary. and i just pay that $20 to him, i have to transfer using via Skrill, but i dont have Skrill account ,little bit strange i have to transfer into account in Indonesia bank account, since i dont have Skrill account, the name is **Edited for Community Guidelines** (someone i have to transfer) finally i just transfer to  **Edited for Community Guidelines**

I choose plan A, since this is new job for me, and I after 3 days i finish the job, he said the translation is good and there's mail to me, the project is succesfull and i have to submit my bank account details. But after that, there's an email that my account has not been linked to company account and had to submit some details to proceed with the linking. and i have to pay linking fee ($200) this is have to be submitted to avoid payment termination. and again i transfer $200 to someone into Indonesia bank account named is   **Edited for Community Guidelines**. After this, there's an email that my account has been linked succesfully but there's charges free is required ($500) again and had to transfer to  **Edited for Community Guidelines**, all of this they said to me will refund belong with my salary. and Anthony said this will be the last payment i had to pay. 

another email coming to me, and said the linked succesfully linked (connected)  but i have to deposit some money AGAIN ($750)

how stupid i'am ..i know i'am stupid in here, i just dont understand the way how the transfer system will be work if someone is transfer from the overseas. I chat  **Edited for Community Guidelines** and i comment why i have to transfer some money again while he said it will be the last payment, he said to me i have to chat to his manager  **Edited for Community Guidelines**. and i chat to him and tell him that i dont have $750 ..it's too much.  this is start odd to me, and i said i dont need my salary again, just please pay back to me ($750) that i just deposit, but he said it can't be reversed to me, he really tell me to looking for $750 and i said i dont have money again and he said "it's okay if you just have $500", i said i dont have money and i'm ran out of my money ..until we have some argument, he really forced me to get some money again, i just said to him i only have $100. that's my last money and i said i will not pay again after this if there's another payment.  **Edited for Community Guidelines** said he promosing me it will be the last money i have to transfer. and after this my salary + my refund will be payed. after waiting 1 hour, i chat to him but not reply yet, and i chat to  **Edited for Community Guidelines** and i have to chat to another person, his name is  **Edited for Community Guidelines**. He called me  but his speak is not clear as i'm hearing,  but i'm hear there's fee to exchange USD to Rupiah, i shock and can't believe that why i'm supposed to be pay here, i chat him again if my hearing is not clear, but yeah thats true i have to pay some money again due the payment is from USD, there's exchange fee USD to rupiah. how crazy are they, they ask ($750), but this time i'm not will pay anything to him, this is insane,  **Edited for Community Guidelines** said "how about $500?", i said i dont have my own money again and i'm ran out of my money. He really forced me that this is not scam. until i arguing and i beg for him, just pay me back $850, i dont need that my salary again, but he said it can't be payed back, he already blocked me in the Telegram and he remove his chat and his job posting in Upworks, so i can't reported them :(((. If you want some details from me, please just reply

please be careful guys

here are some proofs

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
yofazza
Community Member

Call BCA and tell the details. Meet the customer service in person if you have to.

There are many cases where online scammer's account got frozen even without a police report in BCA. Just give them all of the information.

And although it's too late: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

View solution in original post

41 REPLIES 41
yofazza
Community Member

Call BCA and tell the details. Meet the customer service in person if you have to.

There are many cases where online scammer's account got frozen even without a police report in BCA. Just give them all of the information.

And although it's too late: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

biaa_13
Community Member

Thank you, will try to call BCA

yofazza
Community Member

Let us know how it goes if possible.

I personally had 2 good experiences with this bank and they're about something "sillier" than being conned (not that I blame the victim). There was also less money involved, all of them are returned.

There was also my relative's experience, and stories I read online.

You should do it quick, it's been a few days and it's possible that the money is moved-out already.

biaa_13
Community Member

I already contact BCA, but they will not returned the money. But they will try to freez the account.

thanks for your advise.

yofazza
Community Member

Good,

Now let's hope the money are still in those 2 BCA accounts, because:

1. They will freeze the accounts.
  2. They will tell the account owner(s) to have a meeting on the phone with you .
  3. You, will speak with the account owners and tell them to approve transfer reversals, to unfroze the accounts.

Ask the customer support for more advice, in person if necessary (go to the nearest branch office). I know I would.

The bank will try to help without introducing more complication (like asking for a police report) but they can't just reverse the transaction. They will require the phone meeting/approval.

And looking at this, it looks "international", so they should take this more seriously. I don't know if there's an easy way to create a fake account in BCA, but this point only should be interesting for them (if those accounts are fake).

As mentioned earlier, although silly but I had good experiences with values less than $70. And a relative of mine got his money back after being conned by a local online scammer (seller on Facebook). The value was around $700.

biaa_13
Community Member

Hi Radia,

how long it takes when you call BCA to report the case until the account owners will call on the phone ?

and may i know how much you relatives get the money back ?when you relatives get a scam around $700.

thank you.

yofazza
Community Member

how long it takes when you call BCA to report the case until the account owners will call on the phone ?
  1. I think the account(s) are frozen already.
  2. The bank should also have already notified the account owner(s) and/or wait until they ask.
  3. When they made contact, bank will tell the account owner, and you, to have that phone meeting at an agreed time.

how much you relatives get the money back ?when you relatives get a scam around $700.

All returned.

It was a local-noob scammer (penipu online di facebook) that apparently, maybe, use his real account with a lot of money in it. So he begged, apologized, and return the money. My relative, hesitated to have the police involved, agreed.

You might have a different case, if the money is moved out already and/or the international-scammer just ignored that frozen fake account. But as I mentioned, for a number of reasons this should be interesting to the bank. Please tell them all to the smallest details so at least they can use it to better protect their system in the future.

pgiambalvo
Community Member

Wow, so sorry this happened to you here.

Yes, thanks 

8aba19da
Community Member

I encounter similar experience yesterday. But I do not proceed with it and report "Flag as inappropriate" in Upwork. Now the job no longer available. 

The job required me to join telegram and discuss about project detail externally prior to award the contract. They requested for email, full name and CV. Then, next day told me that I am officially hired and send me file with instruction. Request me to choose the project and need me to pay insurance fee to assurance that I will take the work seriously and submit the work always on time. The payment via Neteller or Skrill Account also.

I do not proceed with it as it is not logic to pay the employer for the work.

biaa_13
Community Member

Thats good, always be careful

Hello , 

I had the same  problem and  they asked to send money and the sum of money differs according to the the size of the project and the communication was outside   the platform and after researhcing  , I became sure that it is a scam.

chakabudatatenda
Community Member

I'm so sorry to hear you were a victim of these scams. No one will ask you to pay anything if they are employing you. It's sad you lost so much money. Please reat the TOS. You shouldn't communicate/get paid outside Upwork. The platform protects you from such things. 

The best you can do is go to your bank. I'm not sure how things work in your country but they might be able to help if you did a direct bank transfer. 

I wish you well and hope you recover some of your money. 

thank you, Tatenda.

eaf54eca
Community Member

I have same issue

biaa_13
Community Member

Hi Sagay,

get a scam also ?do you pay the money for the scammer ?

corati
Community Member

Hi Karibia,

You say you accepted a Russian translation job. But do you speak Russian? (in case you do, you should mention it in your profile)

biaa_13
Community Member

Hi Corinne,

no i don't speak Russian..and they said it's okay if i can using google translation

fbe9dd7e
Community Member

Why are there scams like this in Upwork?

I see a lot of typing - retyping jobs for 16-25 $/hour, and they often delete jobs as soon as people apply and ask to contact via telegram or whatapp. 

Newcomers are likely to be scammed.

Ken n wrote:

Why are there scams like this in Upwork?

I see a lot of typing - retyping jobs for 16-25 $/hour, and they often delete jobs as soon as people apply and ask to contact via telegram or whatapp. 

Newcomers are likely to be scammed.

Not if they are aware of the ToS, read them, and not violate them. 

Can you explain more clearly?
So those jobs are not scams. They often ask for personal and bank account information.

yofazza
Community Member

Yes they are scams. What Martina means, you cannot get scammed if you read the ToS.

Or read this, it's easier:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

Well, you can still get scammed, but it makes it harder, anyway.

fbe9dd7e
Community Member

Thanks you!

No, they ARE scams. I believe she means that if you follow the ToS, you will not fall for them, nor break the rules which facilitate you falling for them.

Yes, because is against the ToS to offer jobs where no qualification is required.

Yes, there are a lot of them. I'm sure that since Upwork knows about this they are paying special attention to retyping jobs and doing their best to block them and ban the clients who post them from being able to post them again.

biaa_13
Community Member

yes, thats true , they will soon delete the jobs and delete the chat also in Upwork. if you find another suspicious job posting, please report 

efce2828
Community Member

I am new to upwork I got my first job ..this week a day after I joined ..this guy texted me in my DM then asked me to inbox him in telegram for an interview ..then I did so ..he interviewed me gave me a job then a deadline of 3days which I accomplished and asked to proceed for my payment ....then he noted I should open an employee account which my money will be deposited there which he did deposit the 2500dollars ..but the problem was when I tried to withdraw through PayPal the verification code did not come... instead they asked me to pay 100dollars to get a verification code which is refundable which I refused because that's a red flag ..then I was blocked  for refusing

Fimi W wrote:

I am new to upwork I got my first job ..this week a day after I joined ..this guy texted me in my DM then asked me to inbox him in telegram for an interview ..then I did so ..he interviewed me gave me a job then a deadline of 3days which I accomplished and asked to proceed for my payment ....then he noted I should open an employee account which my money will be deposited there which he did deposit the 2500dollars ..but the problem was when I tried to withdraw through PayPal the verification code did not come... instead they asked me to pay 100dollars to get a verification code which is refundable which I refused because that's a red flag ..then I was blocked  for refusing

Here are some violation of Upwork's Terms of Service that could put your account at risk :

• Communicating outside of Upwork before a contract is in place
  • Accepting payment outside Upwork
  • Sending payment outside Upwork

Please read the post below and follow all the steps/links before accepting/sending proposals.

To all freelancers looking for help - Upwork Community

Thanks Sophie A

043b3622
Community Member

Can you share some details?

f60e46d9
Community Member

I just got the same experience with you also with the same project plans, from A-D with a high fee for retyping job. He asked me to contact him through telegr4m. He asked for my country origin and email. His typing is awfully bad for a company employee, many typos and he used emoticon in his first chat. Another fishy thing is that he claimed to be an employee at Telus UK, but he send me a PDF with comic sans font, wtih an unclear job description. Plus, he asked for ID Card fee.

Upwork needs to do something with potential employers. They must show their willing to give real jobs by verifying their account and payment, a must, not an option 😞

yes, they do it very professionally, they introduce themselves as employees of companies A, B, C. and they also have price lists for each job level.

f9031f81
Community Member

Seriously! you save my money today I am going to be scammed today he asked me the same question and said me to submit a fee on my id card. But I searched and found this.

This really saved me today ,

thanks alot

biaa_13
Community Member

you're welcome 

629a84f2
Community Member

OMG Miss u save me, i just got the same message with exactly case retyping documents but the job application wad deleted and hé want move to telegram **Edited for Community Guidelines** with same features profile u said and hé also offer that sallary ...oh i'm glad i watch ur post before i take this 

c7889b0f
Community Member

Oh god thank you so much. I almost fell for the same scammer. Thank god I read your post first before I actually continue further. But I'm actually scared now since I didn't realize I sent my CV to him. I hope everything will be fine.

6c8b25a2
Community Member

Same thing happened with me 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members