cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTD or Scheduling System?

Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
1 of 8

Which system do you follow to organize and work on tasks. GTD (Getting Things Done) or the traditional Scheduling System?

I personally use GTD when I have a large project with far deadline, and use Scheduling System on rush projects (because the client goes crazy if you don't finish on time).

Share your thoughts. Benefit the community. 

Best regards, 

Wassim

Highlighted
Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
BEST ANSWER
2 of 8

GTD, scrum (burndown), extreme programming, Kanban, Pomodoro, Basecamp, sticky notes, spreadsheets...  I have to change every once in a while when it becomes ineffective.  I'm more on-top of things when I'm starting a new organizational/scheduling system.  I try taking the best bits from each system to create my own systems that work for me.

I like changing colors of my scheduler every month or so.  That way I can purge the old tasks and start fresh.

To Do, Doing, Done...

I use a manila folder for each project.  I staple a master list to the cover, and passwords and logins in the inside cover, and print everything so that I don't have to rummage through emails.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 8

I hate scrum so much. Smiley Happy  Maybe that's because I had to deal with scrum masters, and those people are worthless.

All I have is a folder marked "Working" in my Elance profile and I move projects to it as I win.

I lay it out in my head what I'm going to do the next day. I've tried to organize phone calls between 2pm-4pm but that didn't work out so well. 

Organization isn't my strong point, but I've always worked well in chaos rather than telling me to do the same thing every day. I played triage guy for 6 months after the company had a disaster deployment. Probably the only job where I wasn't bored out of my mind. Every day all day 911s.

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 8

@Jennifer M wrote:

I hate scrum so much. Smiley Happy  Maybe that's because I had to deal with scrum masters, and those people are worthless.

Haha, yeah scum sucks for the most part!

I don't know what else to call the agile approach to development that I try to do.  Burndown charts and task estimates stickies on a weekly story board is useful for big development projects.

@Wassim T wrote:

Daniel, 

Can you please briefly highlight "scrum" and "extreme programming"? I think those are important. 

Best regards, 

Wassim

Extreme programming is a lot of different things.  It's more about developing effectively than keeping a schedule.

I used to hire an assistant programmer for pair programming.  It worked for me but it's hard to find anyone actually willing to pair up with me.  

I think the thing that works the best is using sticky notes or index cards, writing a task on each, then estimating roughly how long it will take.  Either 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours, or 8 hours.  If it's more than 8 hours, break it down into smaller parts.  Then take 8 hours of tasks and pin them on a board.  Or put them in a basket and pull them until you find one that is interesting.  Sometimes you can color code them by quick tasks, and priority tasks so that you can squeeze them in when you have time.  This is more agile approach than anything else.

There are books and online resources that explain everything in detail.  I doubt that I could explain it well in a forum.  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 8

@Daniel C wrote:

I used to hire an assistant programmer for pair programming.  It worked for me but it's hard to find anyone actually willing to pair up with me.  

I never liked pair programming. I understand it if you're training someone, but I just want to watch Netflix and code. Or, listen to music if I'm somewhere. With pair programming, you have to sit and talk and can't be alone to just do your thing. Then, top Agile onto it with the 15 minute standups and all I'm doing is talking. Never liked it unless I needed help and I got with someone to help me.

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 8

Amazing stuff dude. I'm accepting this as an answer since it covers several topics related to productivity.

Highlighted
Community Guru
7 of 8

@Wassim T wrote:

Amazing stuff dude. I'm accepting this as an answer since it covers several topics related to productivity.

Thanks!  That puts me on the list of "Top Solution Authors" in Community Discussion.  Woo!

Productivity is an on-going battle and you just have to pick and choose what works for you.

Best of luck on being more productive and organized!  

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 8

Daniel, 

Can you please briefly highlight "scrum" and "extreme programming"? I think those are important. 

Best regards, 

Wassim

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS