cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaining a track record

Highlighted
Marcial R Member Since: Jan 28, 2019
1 of 8

Before I delete my profile entirely, I'd like to know if there are others who've run into the same block.  It seems that any "professional" project which pays even a modest sum for a freelancer's time and effort is only seeking bids from someone with an established record of success on Upwork.  I'm guessing this means that in order to be considered for any that actually pays enought to be worth my time i must first successfully bid on and complete a number of low-ball projects.   Say like $5 for 20 hours worth of work. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
2 of 8

You need to beef up your profile. IMO, the MOST important thing for your line of work is to set up your portfolio. Clients want to see what they'll be getting. Smiley Wink

You might also try being a little more dynamic in your description, making it a little longer (two short paragraphs plus bullet points) and a call to action ("contact me for..."). I think with all that in place, you should get some offers.

Good luck!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
3 of 8

None of us had any hours or JSS when we started.  Those jobs that ask for a certain number of jobs or JSS - that's merely a suggestion, not a requirement.  You can still apply, emphasizing your experience and expertise gained before you came to Upwork.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 8

portfolio?

Highlighted
Community Leader
Michelle S Member Since: Jun 23, 2017
5 of 8

The first job I took was kind of low.  I knew it was an easy job and that the person who hired me had a good track record.  It was a fixed-rate job, and yes, it was probably like $10/hr.  But it took me like 5 hours to complete.  It was great learning experience for me.  I needed to take a job to get to know the platform and what it was about.  I needed something that wasn't huge or long-term.  I looked at is an investment in my business. 

That quickly moved to a job that paid more.  Since it was multiple fixed rate milestones, it appears on my profile as a big job, but it was really a series of really small ones.  Again, it was a learning experience for me.  It did not take long, like 3 jobs, before I increased my rates substantially and took bigger jobs. 

You do not need to work for pennies, but I do think that you may need to take some small jobs that may not pay as well as you want just so clients can see that you have some experience working with clients and using the platform.  If you have great experience outside of Upwork, it won't take long at all before you build up a great list of repeat clients.

Look at these first few jobs as an investment in your freelancing business.  Don't get bogged down in them, but maybe spend 3-5 days doing a few fixed-priced jobs that can be turned around quickly.  I think fixed-price jobs are better for this because no one knows how much you are making per hour, so other clients don't see low hourly rates on your profile.

I've found that trust is everything on Upwork.  Clients want to feel they can trust you. I little job history goes a long way to forming that trust. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
6 of 8

People come to Upwork either looking for excuses to fail or opportunities to succeed. Those who realize the opportunities, do well. Those who hold onto any excuse they can find, do not. 

Highlighted
Marcial R Member Since: Jan 28, 2019
7 of 8
No sure about what you are saying here but it sounds condescending. I
have 25 years experience in media production and am looking for additional
income streams, not excuses.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
8 of 8

Marcial R wrote:

Before I delete my profile entirely, I'd like to know if there are others who've run into the same block.  It seems that any "professional" project which pays even a modest sum for a freelancer's time and effort is only seeking bids from someone with an established record of success on Upwork.  I'm guessing this means that in order to be considered for any that actually pays enought to be worth my time i must first successfully bid on and complete a number of low-ball projects.   Say like $5 for 20 hours worth of work. 

It doesn't matter what the client says they want. They're choosing criteria in a hypothetical context, without really knowing what their options are. If you make a strong enough impression and your work speaks for itself, they'll hire you even though they asked for 100 Upwork hours and you have two or they set a budget of $100 and you asked bid $250. 

On the other hand, if you take $5 for 20 hours of work, you may never break that cycle, or may find that it takes months of gradually edging upward to get to a reasonable pay rate. No serious client is going to consider you with that pay rate on your profile.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS