🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Geez Louise, it's Getting Depressing on Here
Page options
penngrp
Community Member

Geez Louise, it's Getting Depressing on Here

I thought when Upwork decided to show what proposals were viewed it would be a good thing, but now I am thinking otherwise. The small number of views makes me wonder if I am wasting my time even sending them. I know it is not my cover letters, and I don't expect every one to get viewed, but certain one's, yes I expect them to get at least a glance over.

However, it is hard to get viewed when as soon as someone posts a job Upwork sends them a list of freelancers. Now, regardless of what Upwork say's a great majority of those posting jobs think that these freelancers are personlly reccommended by Upwork. But, those who chose not to take Upwork's suggestion of freelancer's are now presented freelancers in the order that Upwork deems fitting. So, if your not in htat initial presentation of freelancers you might as well forget about your proposal being seen.

To add insult to injury I did a search for "Business Plan Writers", where I was found on page 2, not too bad. Yet, when I looked at the top 5 on page 1, four of them had profiles with false information, and fake jobs. Believe me a person with a PhD from Harvard is not going to do multiple business plans for $5 each and complete them in one day or less. Still these 4 individuals were recently invited to more than 400 jobs. I guess Upwork doesn't care about who they present to potential clients either.

Believe it or not, I like Upwork, I just get annoyed with them from time-to-time. (Don't even get me started on these different badges....It's like pre-school)

4 REPLIES 4
jhonnys84
Community Member

I share the same views as you. I notice there is a polarization between high-level freelancers (the majority of whom are part of the community) and newcomers. UpWork seems to have sided with the newcomers.

celgins
Community Member

Believe it or not, I like Upwork, I just get annoyed with them from time-to-time.

I think every personal and business relationship I've ever had can be viewed this way. 🤣

I'm with you, though. It's really frustrating when we don't know why our proposals aren't viewed, especially when there can be 20 different reasons why.

f5ce99a1
Community Member

🙇🤙☺️

eleoz
Community Member

I feel you, Jeffrey. Looking at that "viewed proposals" button is just so depressing.

I am still trying to make up my mind around the fact that this platform used to be a reliable and straightforward way to land gigs and ongoing jobs, and now is a pool crowded with projects flooded with 50+ applications, no matter the level of experience or what the client asks for oh how much thy're willing to pay.
1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th bidding places covered by someone who spent a striking amount of 80, 70, 50 boosted connects to get noticed. Seriously?
No point in giving it a try. As much as I am confident I am a good fit for that job and I know my value, I simply can't beat "the system".

We're all staring at this progressive decrease in the quality of jobs offered, and I am not talking about the infamous scams, no. 

What the heck.

I am simply speechless.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members