🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: General earnings data
Page options
studionlk
Community Member

General earnings data

Hi,

I recently came across some data about the general earnings of Freelancers on Upwork. I was told this could be found on here, but I have no idea where.

I am looking for information like: how many total registered Freelancers for a particular work type there are, and how much they earned. The example I saw showed the data divided into levels like: no earnings, $1+, $1000+, etc.

Can anyone point me to where I can run such a search, please?

14 REPLIES 14
lysis10
Community Member

You can do the search on your client account. You have to create one if you haven't already, but the search isn't that accurate. It doesn't include people who blocked themselves from search because they are too busy, ones that were taken out of search because they haven't earned in 30 days, and the ones that got banned or are flagged at the moment for something in their profile.

Thank you, that is very helpful.

I have done what you said, but still not finding where to actually search. I can see a list comes up when I search for freelancers, but no overall figures.

Yes, it would be good if the criteria of the search was transparent too. Only earned in the last month cuts out a lot of people. 

For someone aiming to find work here, this is all very useful information.

Nikaya L wrote:

Thank you, that is very helpful.

I have done what you said, but still not finding where to actually search. I can see a list comes up when I search for freelancers, but no overall figures.

Yes, it would be good if the criteria of the search was transparent too. Only earned in the last month cuts out a lot of people. 

For someone aiming to find work here, this is all very useful information.

There isn't any. You have to go by what displays next to the search critera that you select. The data you're looking for isn't published anywhere. The numbers you're referring to are from client searches like I said and don't have any real accuracy to them. The only people who know this stuff is Upwork and they ain't talkin it seems.

I see. That is a shame. 

Upwork is not very good on transparency it seems. 

I have seen other figures, so I will try to work it out. Market research is kind of important. 

Thanks again.

Nikaya L wrote:

I see. That is a shame. 

Upwork is not very good on transparency it seems. 

Who is?

You can search for freelancers in a certain niche and it will often tell you how much they have made to date. But just because some people are making X amount of dollars doesn't mean that you would, too.

florydev
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

You can do the search on your client account. You have to create one if you haven't already, but the search isn't that accurate. It doesn't include people who blocked themselves from search because they are too busy, ones that were taken out of search because they haven't earned in 30 days, and the ones that got banned or are flagged at the moment for something in their profile.

I was going to send a screenshot...and I think they changed it.  Maybe I am just confused but I don't see a way to go into the Advanced search like you used to and pick things like Earned Amount and see the count.  

Mark F wrote:
I was going to send a screenshot...and I think they changed it.  Maybe I am just confused but I don't see a way to go into the Advanced search like you used to and pick things like Earned Amount and see the count.  

I had just come to the exact same thought. I compared the search layout and info for the Freelancer vs client account and saw that the figures don't show. Perhaps a very, very recent change - like this week, from what I can surmise.

search filters.jpg

Petra R wrote:

search filters.jpg

Thanks that is what I expected to see. For me there is no option to select filters - only 'clear filters' once one is selected.
Filters are list down the side and don't show any numbers.

Screenshot 2019-08-17 at 17.38.31.pngScreenshot 2019-08-17 at 17.39.14.png

florydev
Community Member

Petra,

I don't see that anymore.   I have probably lost track of how to get to it but my search looks like this:

Capture.PNG

mtngigi
Community Member

Mark F wrote:

Petra,

I don't see that anymore.   I have probably lost track of how to get to it but my search looks like this:

Mark,

After you type in a search, you should get this window, then you click on "filters":

Screen shot 2019-08-17 at 10.28.51 AM.png

To get this window:

Screen shot 2019-08-17 at 10.29.11 AM.png

Thanks Vriginia F. 

I can see it works exactly like that on my Freelancer profile, but on my client profile. No new window opens and there is no option to click 'filter'. I cannot work out where to save a search either.

All of the filters are listed on the left hand side of the search results, but they show no figures next to them. It stays exactly as they are before searching. No new window opens. 

Weird that we are seeing different layouts though. 

florydev
Community Member

Virginia F wrote:

Screen shot 2019-08-17 at 10.29.11 AM.png

That's the freelancer's search, not the client.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths