🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Get Paid Off Upwork After 2 Years
Page options
jorgensons
Community Member

Get Paid Off Upwork After 2 Years

I've worked with a client on 5 or 6 very small one-off projects since summer 2016. Now he wants to hire me for a much larger project, but it sounds like he might be concerned about the potential cost. I started typing a message in Upwork Messenger suggesting that he hire me directly so I could also bill him directly (and thus reduce his costs by 20%). 

My understanding is that this would be acceptable conduct because we've been working together for 3+ years and the TOS requires Upwork exclusivity for only 24 months: Therefore, for 24 months from the time you identify or are identified by any party through the Site...you agree to use the Site as your exclusive method to request, make, and receive all payments for work directly or indirectly with that party or arising out of your relationship with that party.

However, as I was typing a message, I got a popup that makes it sound like getting paid off Upwork is always a violation of the TOS:  Considering getting paid outside of Upwork? If you are – consider this ... It's against our Terms of Service to do this, and we reserve the right to close your account.

I would rather lose one job than have my account terminated (though I'd prefer neither), so I want clarification on this conflicting information before I respond to the client. Moderators, can you please shed some light on this? Thank you!
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Signe, 

If it's already outside of non circumvention period you can move off Upwork and don't need to pay the opt out fee. You can check out Valeria's reply on this thread for more information. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
petra_r
Community Member

Signe J wrote:

I've worked with a client on 5 or 6 very small one-off projects since summer 2016.

However, as I was typing a message, I got a popup that makes it sound like getting paid off Upwork is always a violation of the TOS:  Considering getting paid outside of Upwork? If you are – consider this ... It's against our Terms of Service to do this, and we reserve the right to close your account.

After 2 years you are free to take the client off the platform. It says so in the terms of service, many of the in-product notifications and communications are poorly worded.

That's my understanding as well -- I just want official outside confirmation so that I don't get an unpleasant surprise somewhere down the road.

Signe J wrote:

That's my understanding as well -- I just want official outside confirmation so that I don't get an unpleasant surprise somewhere down the road.

Sure, I'll flag your post and I'm sure a mod will pop along and confirm it for you 🙂

JoanneP

Hi Signe, 

If it's already outside of non circumvention period you can move off Upwork and don't need to pay the opt out fee. You can check out Valeria's reply on this thread for more information. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Signe,  just as an FYI there are escrow services available on the market.  PM me if you want the name of one I've used.  It is still easier than sending monthly invoices as payments are handled cash in front (into escrow) as is Upwork's.

tlsanders
Community Member

Bit of a side note, but if it's a large project, why would moving off of Upwork reduce his costs by 20%? You would only be paying 20% on a small fraction of the project--and then only assuming that you have not already earned $500 in total through those small projects. 

Tiffany -- large and small are relative. By "small," I mean "really small." Like...$25 jobs. They've been things like proofreading a one-paragraph email. We're well under $500 -- probably in the $150 range. That said, you're right. It wouldn't be a full 20% in savings, but still probably something like 15%. Enough to potentially make a difference.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths