🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Get Rid my UpWork account on Google Searc...
Page options
999ae04f
Community Member

Get Rid my UpWork account on Google Search Result

Hi, I had an account where when you google search my name it appear on the search result, despite I've set the profile to Private. As of now i've closed that account but the search result keep appearing. How do you resolve this issue? 

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

Yulianto Z wrote:

As of now i've closed that account but the search result keep appearing. How do you resolve this issue? 

Upwork can not control Google search results. Once you close your account, it takes a while to vanish

You can try and have it removed via Google

robbie-b
Community Member

Yulianto Z wrote:

Hi, I had an account where when you google search my name it appear on the search result, despite I've set the profile to Private. As of now i've closed that account but the search result keep appearing. How do you resolve this issue? 

A private profile just means your profile won't appear on this website search results. It doesn't add no-index meta tags for search engines. If you want it out the search listing, I'd imagine you'll need to contact support and request they close your account and remove all your details so there's nothing there for search engines to index. 

Once you've managed to get rid of your profile, your old URL should appear as page no longer exists. When you have that, you can use the remove outdated content tool as Petra points out but you as you don't own the content, you can't request Google to de-index it. You'll need to take it up with UpWork support to request your profiles removed. 

re: "You'll need to take it up with UpWork support to request"

Or even better... don't contact Upwork Customer support for this.

It really isn't their job to manage Google search data.

If you don't want to have an Upwork profile listed in Google, then the best thing to do is to close your Upwork acocunt and/or set it to private and be patient to wait for Google's re-indexing to drop you from searches.

The thing to keep in mind is this:

You Googled yourself, and you found your Upwork listing...

But nobody else is Googling you.

Fair point Preston. It's not their job to manage search listings. It is their job to manage people's personal data though. 

Preston H wrote:

re: "You'll need to take it up with UpWork support to request"

Or even better... don't contact Upwork Customer support for this.

It really isn't their job to manage Google search data.

If you don't want to have an Upwork profile listed in Google, then the best thing to do is to close your Upwork acocunt and/or set it to private and be patient to wait for Google's re-indexing to drop you from searches.

The thing to keep in mind is this:

You Googled yourself, and you found your Upwork listing...

But nobody else is Googling you.

How do you suggest I contact Upwork support? I believe they dont have email for support.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Yulianto,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about the account you need help with. I'll check that for you and assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
d9402e44
Community Member

Hi Bojan,
I have the same issue. I recently closed my account but still appears in google. I can’t send you a pm, it was saying I do not have enough privilege. I just created this account to contact support. I also have a pending request to google.
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Anna,

Could you please try again to click on my name and send me a PM with more information about your request? I'll check that for you and assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths