🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Get notified when new job posted that matches...
Page options
amyrockwood
Community Member

Get notified when new job posted that matches my search

Hi there!  I want to know immediately when a new job is posted that matches one of my saved searches.  Is this possible because I can't find it!  I want to jump on new opportunities 🙂

9 REPLIES 9
florydev
Community Member

Amy R wrote:

Hi there!  I want to know immediately when a new job is posted that matches one of my saved searches.  Is this possible because I can't find it!  I want to jump on new opportunities 🙂

No, it does not do that.  

People have suggested that but I doubt Upwork will ever do it.  Many people are like of course it should do this, how simple, and I am like OMG that would be a hiddeously complicated and resource intensive.  

If you look at the flip side, let's say you and I might both be interested in a job but I am not actively looking...would you really want me to be notified?  I think you are better off that the burden is on ME to look for myself.

You should also know that proposals are not ordered by when they are sent, it is instead ordered by some kind of best fit matching algorithm that appears to be equal parts bluff and magic.

No way!!  They are not received in the order submitted?  Wow did not know that.  Hopefully bluff and magic are on my side because I only submit a proposal if I'm super interested and I know I can do the work (I'm sure everyone is that way).  So how do they pick and choose who gets submitted first?  Good heavens I did not know this.

I see what you mean about the notifications for new jobs in my search.  Yep, if I put in the work to monitor them I should get first dibs on them....but this might not matter if someone who submits after me is put in front of the client first???  Aaaaaack!!

Try using RSS or Atom ...

Virginia F wrote:

Try using RSS or Atom ...

+1 That's really the way to go if want close to instant notifications. 

Amy R wrote:

No way!!  They are not received in the order submitted?  Wow did not know that.  Hopefully bluff and magic are on my side because I only submit a proposal if I'm super interested and I know I can do the work (I'm sure everyone is that way).  So how do they pick and choose who gets submitted first?  Good heavens I did not know this.

I see what you mean about the notifications for new jobs in my search.  Yep, if I put in the work to monitor them I should get first dibs on them....but this might not matter if someone who submits after me is put in front of the client first???  Aaaaaack!!

Go into Google Image search and put in "upwork client proposal screen" and you can get a sense of what they see there.  On the main review screen they only see about a line or two of your "cover letter" and/or the answer to the first question, make them count!

It is a randomish order.  It sends out an email when there are new proposals but it groups them together and I don't know how often.  There are proposals that are grouped at the bottom as not good fits or something.  I don't what you have to do to get down there.

Mark F wrote:

Go into Google Image search and put in "upwork client proposal screen" and you can get a sense of what they see there.  On the main review screen they only see about a line or two of your "cover letter" and/or the answer to the first question, make them count!

It is a randomish order.  It sends out an email when there are new proposals but it groups them together and I don't know how often.  There are proposals that are grouped at the bottom as not good fits or something.  I don't what you have to do to get down there.

I knew that customers only see the first two lines of the proposals.
But do they really see the answers to (almost always) stupid canned questions before?
Why? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

At least, UW could warn of this.
I have never worried too much in writing those answers. I have always considered them secondary unless they seemed "written" by the client and related to the work.

Thanks for the information, Mark.
And UW, please, remove the canned questions at once.
If the client wants to ask a specific question, make the client write it.

Maria T wrote:

Mark F wrote:

I knew that customers only see the first two lines of the proposals.
But do they really see the answers to (almost always) stupid canned questions before?
Why? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

At least, UW could warn of this.
I have never worried too much in writing those answers. I have always considered them secondary unless they seemed "written" by the client and related to the work.

Thanks for the information, Mark.
And UW, please, remove the canned questions at once.
If the client wants to ask a specific question, make the client write it.

I may be wrong.  I have only hired twice on Upwork and the second time when I was really paying attention I did not think to add a question (because I, like you, hate the questions).  I should have to see how it looks on the review screen.  However, I went back to the first project I had and it is showing the cover letter and not the questions (but the job is closed).

The reason I think (or thought) that was because I read it somewhere.  So, I think there is a pretty good chance I am wrong now because they changed it.  When I look at the google images I suggested there is one on there that shows the questions as the only thing shown but it also says Odesk Recommends so it is really quite old.

So, I think that maybe this advice is old. 

Mark F wrote:

The reason I think (or thought) that was because I read it somewhere.  So, I think there is a pretty good chance I am wrong now because they changed it.  When I look at the google images I suggested there is one on there that shows the questions as the only thing shown but it also says Odesk Recommends so it is really quite old.

So, I think that maybe this advice is old. 

I don't know if it will be old, it would be nice if someone, mods?, could confirm or deny this.
Or any of the partners here freelance/client.
Someone out there?

kbadeau
Community Member

It would be kind of cool but I guess I'll take y'all's advice and just set up my own search. There are some pet projects I dig working on more than the everyday bread and butter stuff.

I DO get notifications from an enterprise client or a talent cloud or some such... I don't mind but they NEVER relate to my field.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths