🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Getting Paid to a Corporate Checking Account
Page options
b4581734
Community Member

Getting Paid to a Corporate Checking Account

Hello,

I have a freelancer account but have since incorporated by business. I'd need to get paid to my corporate checking account for tax purposes. Every time I select "corporate checking", it auto-changes to "personal checkings". I cannot put my corporation name as the account holder. My UpWork funds were paid out to the account information I provided, but it won't go through because UpWork auto-changed my account to "personal checking" and my personal name is not actually the account holder, I'm an officer of the company.

I've searched high and low for someone who can help me fix this issue. I've been waiting to be contacted about identifying that I'm the business owner with articles of incorporation. When I try to verify my identity again, it won't let me since I already identified my personal identity. Mostly, I want to get my earnings out of the ether and speak to a real human being to help me with this. Moving forward, I'll be creating an agency account to prevent having to spend so many non-billable hours on a situation like this.

If someone from UpWork reads this, please, please, please have a team member connect me. 

Thank you,
Amanda

13 REPLIES 13
prestonhunter
Community Member

You don't need Upwork's help to do this. Just add your legal name as a named beneficiary on the corporate account. Then change your Upwork payment withdrawal method to the corporate account.

re: "I'd need to get paid to my corporate checking account for tax purposes."

It is not necessary to withdraw funds to a separate corporate checking account in order to minimize your tax payments. Taxes are based on income and filing methods. Tax calculation is not based on what bank accounts money goes into.

Thanks. Do you know why it keeps auto-switching to personal checking? It won't accept that it's a corporate account. Only my identity as an individual has been verified. I've seen in the community to wait 8 days, so I'll do that.

I don't see why it should be a problem to let it switch to personal checking.

ACH transfer to your corporate account, which has your legal name as a beneficiary, should work even if identified as personal checking within the Upwork user interface.

b4581734
Community Member

How do I provide verification again? I've been looking for a contact number or anything, and it says my ID is already verified.

b4581734
Community Member

Can you please request one of your agents reach out to me, too? This is incredibly frustrating that my account has been emptied out but my bank account can't receive the money. 

Amanda B wrote:

Can you please request one of your agents reach out to me, too? This is incredibly frustrating that my account has been emptied out but my bank account can't receive the money. 

Preston doesn't work for UW, he's a FL who hangs around the forum offering advice. Clearly, you do need UW's assistance at this point to get your money out of limbo. Your best bet is to open a support ticket.

I'm a sole proprietor so my bank acct is me DBA my company, but if I incorporated I would do what you tried to do. I wonder if there's a bug. Or if you simply can't change from an individual to a corporate identity without heavy UW intervention.

Good luck!

Phyllis G wrote:

Amanda B wrote:

Preston doesn't work for UW, he's a FL who hangs around the forum offering advice. Clearly, you do need UW's assistance at this point to get your money out of limbo. Your best bet is to open a support ticket.

I'm a sole proprietor so my bank acct is me DBA my company, but if I incorporated I would do what you tried to do. I wonder if there's a bug. Or if you simply can't change from an individual to a corporate identity without heavy UW intervention.

Good luck!

Yeah, I agree with contacting CS. I am incorporated and all I did was change my bank account and my tax info. It was easy. So if it's giving you this much trouble, something must be amiss. 

Thank you all so much! I'll wait a few days. Could someone please let me know where I can submit a support ticket? I seem to keep getting pushed to the FAQ page....

Amanda B wrote:

Thank you all so much! I'll wait a few days. Could someone please let me know where I can submit a support ticket? I seem to keep getting pushed to the FAQ page....

In the lower right corner you have a "Get Support" button.
support1.png

Hi All,

I came here to find out how to address the individual work paid through a corporate entity conundrum while I'm setting up my profile. I think I will follow Amanda L's approach, but try defining my corporation's account from the outset.

I am curious as to Amanda B ever received a resolution to her problem.  Could you give an update, Amanda?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Michael,

Just to confirm, you would like to set up a company payment method to withdraw your earnings? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Yes. Just set up my profile.  I plan to follow the method that Amanda L had posted in reply to the original post when I get to setting up a payment method. Or do you have a different suggestion beyond just entering the corporate account info from the start?

Also, I'm just curious to see if the original poster received a resolution to her issue in case there is more insight on getting corporate checking accounts setup...

Thanks!

Hi Michael,

Our team will reach out to you via ticket and email to assist you further with your payment method. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members