🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Getting Reponses To Proposals?
Page options
terimiles
Community Member

Getting Reponses To Proposals?

So, What's happening on UpWork due to Corona Virus? Still, getting no responses or seeing a lot of low ball positions?

I haven't been on for some time because it seemed and still seems fruitless! I've seen most of the positions I applied to before Corona Virus come back as closed.

9 REPLIES 9
tlbp
Community Member

I spent about two weeks at the beginning of April sending proposals. Now, I am turning down invitations. For me, the gig opportunities seem to be loosely tracking the stock market. When we hit that dip in late March, gigs were down. Now that everyone is feeling good about the economy again, they are up. That, of course, could change at any moment though. 

Also, I had a well-established portfolio and a solid JSS before the pandemic began. I tweaked my profile to add some quantifiable results and keywords during my downtime. So, that may have helped my subsequent performance as well.   

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Things went almost dead slack for me by mid-March. Then invitations picked up considerably in both quantity and quality. I experience an uptick in invitation quantity a few times a year, when I'm up in the rotation. But quality has been up. OTOH, clients have been slow to pull the trigger until this week when I got three new contracts and am short-listed for a fourth. They aren't large, though, and it's not clear what the next 3-6 months have in store.

millermelanie
Community Member

I'm getting fewer invitations, but my work flow coming in from my regular clients has been steady, so I haven't seen TOO much change.  When I scan through the job postings, it seems there aren't as many, but I don't send out too many proposals anyway. I have enough ongoing contracts to keep me busy, and if I get a new client, it's because they found ME.

I've been absolutely inundated with work since the pandemic started; I think it's because my clients are all at home and have nothing else to do BUT work (which is pretty much the case with me, as well - I'm not turning anything down at the moment). 

Christine A wrote:

I've been absolutely inundated with work since the pandemic started; I think it's because my clients are all at home and have nothing else to do BUT work (which is pretty much the case with me, as well - I'm not turning anything down at the moment). 

People are getting caught up on brochure revamps and other marketing projects that they have been putting off. Plus, businesses that didn't invest a lot of effort in their website are now depending on that website to keep them in business. I think that is where a lot of the demand for content is coming from. 

Christine A wrote:

Same. I was inundated before and inundated during and hopefully will be inundated after.  I've been getting about 1 invitation a day on average for the last few weeks. I'm not sure if I'm in the rotation or not. 

researchediting
Community Member

Had a couple of dry months, including one largeish contract that was specifically put on hold because the client was suspending field operations in Africa out of coronavirus concerns. Then after a couple of weeks they came back with a back-burner project that was now front and center, and comes close to filling out that contract with them. Meanwhile l'm juggling a couple of other substantial contracts, both of which were scheduled and budgeted prior to the crisis. It's also been raining offers, and I've had to respond as unavailable.

I am trying not to fall behind by schedule. I was in the rotation last week but the invites I received were mainly useless. I applied for one job, got hired and was drowing last weekend. So no more applying until I can breath again.

But more important than the amount of work is the income. April was 20% less than January to March totalled.

jaybopp82
Community Member

I was lucky enough to find a job in early March that was tracking the COVID impacts on US universities.  Neither of us knew it would be a long lasting contract as we did not know how seriously this would impact the school system.  I've not had to search for a job since then.

I guess my point is to say yes, some jobs have been lost that would've otherwise been posted on Upwork due to this situation - but other needs have arisen that also would not have been there.

All this said, I would love nothing more than this virus to end tomorrow.  I know my project would end, but there are other clients and more work to be found.  It's just nice not to have to submit proposals for a while.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths