🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Getting Work
Page options
990e4b4b
Community Member

Getting Work

So I have been on upwork for quite some time and it seems that I need to get a job in order for my profile to then recieve and be accepted, yet its counterintuitive seems I can not land one with out one?

Any tips?

I have been in my field for a very long time and am very skilled? (potentially not protraying it properly as well).

Help!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dsmgdesign
Community Member

What kind of tips are you looking for? Tips with your profile? Tips with writing proposals? Tips on navigating the job postings? Something else? 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jamespouliot
Community Member

This is one of the tricker aspects of Upwork. I have friends that are highly skilled professionals but they won't come on Upwork because the platform is kind of like starting at "zero". It's frustrating for people that have a lot of experience outside of Upwork to come in and price themselves down to get the required experience necessary to be considered here.  On the flip side it's a great opportunity for people that don't have a lot of experience to get started in a field. You will probably have to do a couple jobs for less than you would normally to show that you are trustworthy. Link to your CV/portfolio/previous work and write killer proposals. If you master the art of proposal writing you will gain experience fast. 

I was a freelancer before I started using Upwork. Even though I had a stellar reputation and stacks of rave reviews and testimonials, none of that seemed to make much difference when I started here. It was, indeed, like starting over. However, though I lowered my rates, I was able to find work and raise the rates back to a decent amount.

dsmgdesign
Community Member

What kind of tips are you looking for? Tips with your profile? Tips with writing proposals? Tips on navigating the job postings? Something else? 

Thank you for your reply, yes there was a lack of clarity in my posting.
My profile was fully filled out I was just not getting any jobs, now my profile is ranking better I had to accept some lower paying jobs to sorta" break the seal" and now that I have reviews I see I am getting invited to interviews and landing more.
I had to build my way up I guess.

Yes, that is pretty much what you need to do. Upwork takes alot of patience and understanding who your target audience is based on the responses you get from prospective clients. After being on here for years, I know exactlty who will respond to me, and they almost always do. 

Same here am willing to start with low paying jobs to improve on my profile 

the-right-writer
Community Member

Your profile is set to private. Without seeing it, I can't offer any advice on that aspect. If you haven't, read and follow the Terms of Service and read this from Wes. Make a complete profile including a portfolio. Whatever you think you can do as a freelancer, you should be able to show examples.

Many freelancers win a job with no JSS. We all started from the same place.

I don't know if you are skilled or not. In my opinion, if you have to ask, you are not.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members