🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Getting a Payslip or Job letter
Page options
gordonrenice
Community Member

Getting a Payslip or Job letter

Hello, I am a freelancer from Jamaica. I have been working through Upwork since 2017. I make enough to live comfortably, however, no bank will give me any kind of loan because of the nature of my job. I am wondering if there are any other Freelancers from any countries, especially the Caribbean who have had this same issue and how they were able to get it resolved.

I am desperately trying to own my own home with no luck and it doesn't help that Upwork doesn't provide payslips.

4 REPLIES 4
mtngigi
Community Member

Shenice G wrote:

Hello, I am a freelancer from Jamaica. I have been working through Upwork since 2017. I make enough to live comfortably, however, no bank will give me any kind of loan because of the nature of my job. I am wondering if there are any other Freelancers from any countries, especially the Caribbean who have had this same issue and how they were able to get it resolved.

I am desperately trying to own my own home with no luck and it doesn't help that Upwork doesn't provide payslips.

You're self-employed, not an employee of Upwork. You don't need payslips. All your income is recorded on your account. That's what you use to declare your income and pay taxes. That is the information banks need to see.

ETA: Sometimes it's money well-spent to use an accountant for your taxes. This can be called a "business expense" the following year.

Thank you. I do file taxes as a self-employed person, however, when I tell the banks I am self-employed they usually require me to register as a business, which technically, I am not, as I do work with a specific company based in France. Feels like I am going around in circles.

I guess it's different here in Jamaica, as I do have all the proof of income. Hoping another Jamaican freelancer may see this and be able to provide some help.

Hey Shenice,

Have you attempt to speak with you client to see if they are able to generate tax form or payslips?

Mine acctually does as there financial department has to keep records of all payments.

ashrafkhan81
Community Member

Upwork has an option to obtain a "Certificate of Earnings", which gives a formal confirmation from Upwork about your earnings on the platform for the past 12 months split into quarters. To get the certificate of earnings please click the last option under Reports Menu. Check with your bank if that helps as an official confirmation of earnings! 

On the other hand, Since all your income from Upwork is credited to your bank account that should be enough to establish the source of income, and if you file tax returns that should also be helpful. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members