🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Getting clients to Upwork
Page options
jainil22
Community Member

Getting clients to Upwork

Hello all,

So I had a question regarding the Rules and Regulations or the Guidelines of Upwork.

Let's say I spread the word about Upwork around. A few people get to know about it and they join Upwork as clients. After this, they post a job and I apply to it, and I get selected for the job. I mean to say it in a way that they genuinely feel that I am the right choice for the job and then select me, and not simply select me cause I told them to join Upwork so that I could get a job through it.  Will this be seen as illegal in any case?

I'm saying this as I study in a film school and there are always people around me creating something or the other and looking for people to work on it.

I don't think this should be illegal in any of the 2 situations I mentioned as at the end of the day all I'm doing is getting more traffic to Upwork and helping the community as well. But I still just wanted to confirm.

Thank you,
Jainil.

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Jainil S wrote:

Let's say I spread the word about Upwork around. A few people get to know about it and they join Upwork as clients. After this, they post a job and I apply to it, and I get selected for the job. I mean to say it in a way that they genuinely feel that I am the right choice for the job and then select me, and not simply select me cause I told them to join Upwork so that I could get a job through it. 

Clearly, that is most unlikely... There is no genuine reason for your friends to pay you through Upwork, None. Not One. The only possible reasons for this are forbidden under the ToS- the only possible reasons are profile building fraud or money laundering.

Jainil S wrote:

I'm saying this as I study in a film school and there are always people around me creating something or the other and looking for people to work on it.

I don't think this should be illegal in any of the 2 situations I mentioned as at the end of the day all I'm doing is getting more traffic to Upwork and helping the community as well.

If there is any hint of suspicion that you got your pals to create client accounts to improve your profile/gain feedback  etc, you and all your pals will be kicked off the platform faster than you can say "collusion!"

hoyle_editing
Community Member

Not something that i have ever done, though i was under the impression that upwork offer 0% fees on jobs that you bring to upwork. 

Personally i dont see why you would though, surely if they are people you personally know you'd just work for them locally and save a load of fees!?

Ah, i see you have no feedback or history which makes me understand Petras post above. Totally agree!

Jonathan H wrote:

Personally i dont see why you would though, surely if they are people you personally know you'd just work for them locally and save a load of fees!?

Jonathan H wrote:

Not something that i have ever done, though i was under the impression that upwork offer 0% fees on jobs that you bring to upwork. 

Only for top rated + rising talent freelancers and even then any whiff of collusion and the freelancer and all their little pals hiring each other on little jobs for glowing feedback are off the platform permanently.

Ah, i see - good thing to, i hadnt thought about people trying to build 'fake' feedback prior to this!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths