🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Getting irrelevant job interview requests
Page options
nhc123
Community Member

Getting irrelevant job interview requests

I am based in Germany but work exclusively in English as it is my native language and that is clear on my profile. 100% of interview requests I receive are for German speakers or require the German language to complete the job. Obviously, I decline all these requests as they aren't relevant, but I'm concerned that I must be missing out on being considered for English language jobs because I'm not appearing in the relevant searches. Has anyone else found a solution to this problem? 

9 REPLIES 9
nyonomega0
Community Member

Try doing this (in case you haven't already) -

- Remove the mention of German/Germany everywhere from your profile (you might've chosen it as an additional language?)

- Make sure there is no mention of German in your skills

- Try adding more skills related to the services you provide

This might help!

The only place that refers to Germany is my location, which I cannot change, obviously.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Nathalie,

I checked your account and can confirm that everything is working as designed. Regarding the search results, freelancers in search results are shown on a rotating basis so that everyone has a fair chance to be discovered. You can always check out our resources here and learn more about how to improve your profile. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks. I'm still concerned I don't show up in searches for English-speaking jobs, only yesterday I had an interview request for German speakers.

Nathalie, 

This is not much comfort, but  the algorithm picks up on location. I live in France, and I often get invitations to translate from English to French (my language pair is French to English) as well as French proofreading jobs.  

I think you could stress in your overview that you only offer writing/editing skills in English. That may help a bit, but don't count on it!  The other thing is Upwork has a geoblocking policy (US and UK) in place, so you may not see some relevant jobs from these countries. 

Thanks Nichola, This was my suspicion, immensely frustrating and short-sighted by Upwork. Disappointing that the algorithm is so useless to ignore native language over current location.  Got another German native speaker request this morning!

sofia2008
Community Member

Hi, besides your Education, maybe indicate the country after (if it allows it)

ex. University ABC, UK

nhc123
Community Member

Done, and by the looks of it zero effect, thanks though for the suggestion!

a5a1715a
Community Member

As a client, when searching for an English editor or proofreader, I usually limit my search to specific countries. That may explain, at least partially, why you are not getting noticed as often compared to your peers in UK, US, ...

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members