🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Getting no responses
Page options
ilannamandel
Community Member

Getting no responses

My client sent me all of the texts I need to use to write a curriculum. But, when I sent a small sample of work to confirm the direction for the writing, he never responded. I waited two weeks. Finally, he contacted me and apologized. He said he'd been in hospital and wanted to set up a Zoom session. I haven't heard back since and that was a week. There is also an instructor involved who's supposed to guide me, and he's unresponsive too. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

We are still in the midst of a global pandemic. In your shoes, I would make room for the possibility the client has had Covid and has not fully recovered and/or relapsed and/or has family/household members who are also ill, or at the very least has experienced serious work and life disruption and this project hasn't yet made it to the top of his priority list. Even if his hospitalization had nothing to do with Covid, he still might be coping with extended disruption. I would go on about my business and be patient. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

If I am the freelancer and this is a fixed-price job, then I am now clicking the Submit Work button to get paid for whatever amount is appropriate.

If I get paid by clients releasing money, that's great. If I get paid automatically, that's great. If they click a button to request changes, I close the contract and refund everything.

As soon as I get paid anything or if they request changes, I close the contract.

I send a note: "Let me know if you need anything else. We can set up an hourly contract to cover any remaining work."

If this is already an hourly contract, then I simply log any time I spend. If there is a meeting scheduled, I show up for the meeting. If nobody else shows up then I leave after ten minutes, and I bill for only ten minutes of time.

With an hourly contract, I only care about doing MY work and MY assignments. As long as I have done what I can do, I'm content. The project is the client's, not mine. The timeline is the client's, not mine. So if the client causes delays, I don't care. It is an hourly contract, and I am getting paid for the time I log. If the client goes to the hospital or goes on vacation, it is nothing for me to worry about.

This is a fee by the hour contract. They hired me to do curriculum design. All the materials have been sent to me, but they don't seem to want to confirm whether the work I sent them is what they're looking for. Don't know why.

Ilanna

Then just wait until they get in touch. They know where you are.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

We are still in the midst of a global pandemic. In your shoes, I would make room for the possibility the client has had Covid and has not fully recovered and/or relapsed and/or has family/household members who are also ill, or at the very least has experienced serious work and life disruption and this project hasn't yet made it to the top of his priority list. Even if his hospitalization had nothing to do with Covid, he still might be coping with extended disruption. I would go on about my business and be patient. 

Thank you. I had considered that, so it makes sense. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members