Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting our connects back!!

Ace Contributor
Sadak N Member Since: Jan 30, 2010
1 of 23

Hello everybode!

Can we for instantce include a note within our cover letters to ask clients to decline our application if they hires someone for his job in order to get our connects back ? Is this possible ?

None of my connects are back till now and I am almost run out of connects!!

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
2 of 23

That's an interesting idea. I don't see why not, but you'll have to be the judge of how it affects your application.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 23

Sadak,

I'm not sure why it would be helpful to have a client decline our invitation if the client doesn't hire us.

Having an application declined doesn't release connects back to us.

Unless there was some announcement somewhere that I missed, the only reason you would get connects back is if the client closes the job WITHOUT HIRING ANYBODY, or if oDesk removes the job posting for some reason (such as because they found it was a scam posting or it violated terms of use).

But if a client has 10 applicants, and hires 1 of them, then it is my understanding that all 10 applicants lose those connects permanently.

Ace Contributor
Sadak N Member Since: Jan 30, 2010
4 of 23

@Preston H wrote:

Sadak,

I'm not sure why it would be helpful to have a client decline our invitation if the client doesn't hire us.

Having an application declined doesn't release connects back to us.

Unless there was some announcement somewhere that I missed, the only reason you would get connects back is if the client closes the job WITHOUT HIRE ANYBODY, or if oDesk removes the job posting for some reason (such as because they found it was a scam posting or it violated terms of use).

But if a client has 10 applicants, and hires 1 of them, then it is my understanding that all 10 applicants lose those connects permanently.

Thank you Preston!

Then can we ask them to cLOSE their job posts without hiring anyone?LOOOOOL

Community Guru
Iftikhar I Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
5 of 23

Sadak

Its not a good idea to ask a client to decline the application in cover letter and even if so you can not get your connect back.its only possible if the client or Odesk cancel the job.

Community Guru
Santiago G Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
6 of 23

@ Preston

Another person posted a topic which included the live chat between himself and oDesk. In that chat the oDesk rep said "IF the client declines your application, you are supposed to get your connects back". 

^ Unfortunately, I haven't spotted anyone that has confirmed this.

^Also, the chat was edited / removed..... violations and the such.

However, the client still has to take the time to decline your application (good luck). Now as to who has it right, I wouldn't know since none of the very short list of applications I sent were declined. That other topic was about locking the job post so others won't waste their connects if someone else was already hired.

@ Sadak

Yes it's worth a shot but as mentioned, you take your chances with that. Also note that we don't really know how long it would take for your connects to update to show the return.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 23

re: Another person posted a topic which included the live chat between himself and oDesk. In that chat the oDesk rep said "IF the client declines your application, you are supposed to get your connects back"

LOL.

This is something I have seen before: oDesk contractors contacting oDesk customer support for information and thinking that the information they receive that way MUST be correct.

The folks who answer questions for oDesk Customer Support often provide accurate information, but often they provide information that reflects their own imagination and inaccurate understanding of the platform.

I look at oDesk Customer Support as a place staffed by people who have direct access to some controls and buttons that I can't access personally, but I certainly don't think they are the best place to turn for getting accurate information. I find that oDesk's help files and the Community Forum are faster, more helpful, and more accurate sources of information that Customer Support.

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
8 of 23

@Santiago G wrote:

Unfortunately, I haven't spotted anyone that has confirmed this.

I checked my connects and declined applications and no, they don't give back connects when client declines someone's application.

9 of 23

That would be fair. When so many projects I have placed bid on this last month are never awarded.

I also wonder about those who place bid and are under the "hidden" bids. Those that are sort of sorted out from the beginning would pay just as much as those "above" ...?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
10 of 23

Hi All,

I would like to confirm that only if a job is cancelled without hiring (by the client or oDesk), the Connects used to apply for that job will be returned for you to reuse. If the client declines your application or hires someone else, the connects are not returned.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS