Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting our connects back!!

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
11 of 23

I've gotten 2 Connects back...

Bidded on a job 3 weeks ago, 2 weeks later job had no hires. Got an email notification that the job had exphired, and when I logged in saw that there were 2 more Connects available then the last time I logged in.

This is all well and good, and it's great to see that that particular function is working.

But for those bidding on lots of jobs, that is a long delay to get Connects back. Obviously clients who need to interview lots of people to get the "perfect" contractor need time for that process. This is where I see a big need for improvements.

In my service niche, I see a lot of clients who post a job, then wait a week or more for the applications to pile in. Then they start interviewing, which can take a couple of weeks. Fortunatly (or not), the number of jobs in my niche is on the low side, so with a little planning, I've been able to hang on to my Connects.

But for others of you, I can say how this delay is a huge problem.

Community Guru
Santiago G Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
12 of 23

After seeing the other posts here, oDesk really needs to get its stories straight.

What all the Help Desk is saying and what's being posted turned out to be 6 different stories. Hmmmm? Could THAT be the source of the confusion? Ya think ?!! Maybe?!! Where's that sarcasm text style when we need it? Smiley LOL

Suggestion: Add the sarcasm text style and be sure it makes the crazy robot leave our accounts alone!! Smiley LOL

Abderrahmane B Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
13 of 23

Hello All,

some time there are jobs posted but then the client hire a freelencer without interview, well this is ok cause maybe the client already know the freelancer who will do the job and he will hire him directly.

in this situation I think it will be nice to get connects back if we applied to this particular job cause we don't know this info before application.  

so

job + hiring without interview = connects back for others applicants

what do you think? 

Ace Contributor
Jon-Paul R Member Since: Dec 15, 2010
14 of 23

popa3d wrote: "job + hiring without interview = connects back for others applicants

what do you think?" 

Sure, that's fair, but doesn't that then cause oDesk to lose money on the new "Connects" system?

Community Leader
Teri S Member Since: Oct 17, 2011
15 of 23

what do you think? 

While it would be nice to get connects back, I don't think this is a situation that warrents it. I have often been hired by completely new (to me) clients without first being invited to interviews.

If a cover letter and profile is strong enough, they might answer all the client's questions, so they might not feel the need to interview people. Especially if one freelancer clearly stands out above the others.

Also, in some cases, the job is the interview, in that (usually) several people are hired without first inviting anyone to interview and asked to complete a short, paid task. So there really is no way of determining if a client hires someone they've hired before just because they decide they don't need to invite anyone to interview.

Teri

Ace Contributor
Jon-Paul R Member Since: Dec 15, 2010
16 of 23

@Teri S wrote:

what do you think? 

While it would be nice to get connects back, I don't think this is a situation that warrents it....

Teri, you tell me what warrants a new "Connects" system that charges freelancers $2 per application when there's already a system in place that can be more effective. For years now oDesk has allowed people that don't meet the employer's criteria to still apply. You tell me what warrants me paying $2 for applications beyond 30 per month when employers could get the right people with a simply update to the current filtering system?

Sundarajan R Member Since: Jun 15, 2015
17 of 23

Hi,

Can I get the connects if I withdraw from the applied project? Smiley Frustrated

Thanks

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
18 of 23
No.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
19 of 23

Hi Sundarajan,

Only if the job posting you applied for is closed either by the client or by Upwork, the connects you used to apply for that job are returned to you.

Thank you!.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
20 of 23

@Valeria K wrote:

Only if the job posting you applied for is closed either by the client or by Upwork, the connects you used to apply for that job are returned to you.

I asked this before Connects were put in place and was promised an answer, but never received one:

How often does that actually happen?

Now that Connects have been in place for a while, you can give some current numbers.  At the very least, tell us the percentage of Connects that are returned to freelancers.  Because, from my sample set of one, 90% of my Connects are spent on "clients" who do absolutely nothing to "connect" with me or any other freelancer.  You've returned few, if any.

If the actualy benefit of your policy is only 2 or 3 percent returned, just end it to stop the pointless discussion.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS