🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Getting paid for the 2nd submission on a fixe...
Page options
ainegreaney
Community Member

Getting paid for the 2nd submission on a fixed rate project

Hi,  I usually only work on hourly projects, but very early on in UpWork, I did a fixed rate project. The client and I agreed on a budget of $375. She funded the first milestone at $20, but final payment ($355) has not been paid and now she has ended the contract. I fear that, as a newbie, I was not clear in deliniating the milestones.  Now, the contract shows that there is $355 remaining and is asking for a review of this client. Do I have any recourse to get paid my $ here?  Thanks so much in advance for your help. She was actually a very nice client, but ... 

Here's a brief sequence:

9/24: Accepted offer for a $375 fixed-price project

9/24: Client active milestone First/Final Draft for $20

10/12: I submitted milestone First/Final Draft for xxx’s approval

10/26: Payment of $20 to you for the milestone First/Final Draft was released

12/11: Note from me to client re: payment

12/11 Client ended your contract

5 REPLIES 5
lysis10
Community Member

Aine G wrote:

Hi,  I usually only work on hourly projects, but very early on in UpWork, I did a fixed rate project. The client and I agreed on a budget of $375. She funded the first milestone at $20, but final payment ($355) has not been paid and now she has ended the contract. I fear that, as a newbie, I was not clear in deliniating the milestones.  Now, the contract shows that there is $355 remaining and is asking for a review of this client. Do I have any recourse to get paid my $ here?  Thanks so much in advance for your help. She was actually a very nice client, but ... 

Here's a brief sequence:

9/24: Accepted offer for a $375 fixed-price project

9/24: Client active milestone First/Final Draft for $20

10/12: I submitted milestone First/Final Draft for xxx’s approval

10/26: Payment of $20 to you for the milestone First/Final Draft was released

12/11: Note from me to client re: payment

12/11 Client ended your contract

Never work on a partially funded milestone for such a low amount. It's reasonable if the project is thousands of dollars, but for $300, they need to escrow the full amount or it's not worth your time because this is what happens. Kick it back next time and tell them to fund the entire amount.

Jennifer, thank you for your kind response and advice. So does it sound like this is an unpaid job and I have no recourse? Or should I try to log a dispute/or get back to the client and give them another chance to pay?  Again, I really appreciate your help.

re: "thank you for your kind response and advice. So does it sound like this is an unpaid job and I have no recourse? Or should I try to log a dispute/or get back to the client and give them another chance to pay?"

Unfunded milestones don't count. You can not dispute an unfunded milestone.

You are allowed to send the client a message to ask him if he could please pay you using the "Send bonus" tool. But that would be done strictly on the honor system.

Mybadvice to you is to learn from your mistake, and don't make the same mistake again in the future, but don't try to collect more money from this specific contract.

Aine G wrote:

Jennifer, thank you for your kind response and advice. So does it sound like this is an unpaid job and I have no recourse? Or should I try to log a dispute/or get back to the client and give them another chance to pay?  Again, I really appreciate your help.

You can only dispute what is in escrow. If the client happens to come back, they can send you a bonus, but since they only escrowed $20, I don't think they intended to pay.

Thank you again for your advice.
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members