cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting paid

oldschooleditor
Joan M Member Since: Jun 29, 2017
1 of 9

Hi, I just got my first job after many attempts, but I only made $40. What if I never get another job? Will I never receive my $40?

csjarmitage
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 9

You don't have to wait until you hit $100 to withdraw. Just check your "reports" page. When the $40 is showing as available, just click that and it will bring up a "Get Paid" button.

View solution in original post

oldschooleditor
3 of 9

Thank you, Christy! I am just getting used to this system!

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
4 of 9

@Joan M wrote:

Hi, I just got my first job after many attempts, but I only made $40. What if I never get another job? Will I never receive my $40?

If you never get another job, you'll know that freelancing through Upwork isn't the right option for you. Fortunately, you have many other options.

Your $40 will be available for withdrawal 5 days after the client approved the milestone, or 19 days after submission if the client takes no action. Since there is a review on your profile, it appears that the client did release the funds and you are in the 5-day holding period. 

You can visit your "Overview" tab, click on the amount in the "Pending" column and scroll down to see the date those funds will be available.

oldschooleditor
5 of 9

Thanks, Tiffany! I'll keep trying!

ludy_f
Ace Contributor
Ludy F Member Since: Feb 24, 2017
6 of 9

Not only did you get $40, but also 5 stars.

If one client has confidence in you, and demonstrates his satisfaction in this way, chances are you'll get other jobs too.

Just keep writing proposals. I've a distinct feeling that soon, you'll have a bit more than $40. Smiley Very Happy

oldschooleditor
7 of 9

Thanks, Ludy! I really appreciate your encouragement!

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 9

re: "What do I have to do to receive payment?"

Nothing.

re: "Does my client have to approve something before the money comes?"

No.

re: "I've read something about having to wait 5 days for it to show up."

No. The money "shows up" within an hour. The money becomes available for you to withdraw within two weeks. Don't worry so much about this. Everybody is on the same schedule. Look at the Reports page to track the money's path from initial work being done through various stages until you can withdraw it. Or ignore the Reports page and let money be withdrawn to your account automatically. Either way is fine.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 9

re: "Also, what does someone have to do to talk to a real Upwork person who can lead me through this stuff?"

You want Upwork to provide a live, paid tutor to every one of the millions of people who sign up to use their website?

That sounds like an extremely expensive proposition. How would those numbers work out? It does not seem to be something that could ever be justified economically, especially when there are so many people here in the forum who are willing to answer all of your questions for free.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS