🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Getting the First Contract-( How I did it) Le...
Page options
jayawardhane-sup
Community Member

Getting the First Contract-( How I did it) Learn from a Begineer

Hi I'm Supun
First of all i had to work on my profile for about 3 or 4 days. I uploaded a professional photo of myself and best 6 porfolio items to display. I was editing my profile for a while to make it very professional and to showcast my abilities. 
For A begineer in upwork first thing is to develop your profile with a professional good looking image with fine porfolio items. You will need a great description about what you do. 
After upwork approved your account you can go through job postings to send proposals. You have to send proposals with genuine interest. Otherwise proposals are not good enough to earn you work. Put your soul to the proposal and write the proposal for each selected job posting. 
After you getting selected to interview, always be humble and friendly to the client. You don't need to be professional in talking. You have to be friendly. 
This is what i learn up to now. 
Remember: Put your Soul into Proposals. ( I know this is where most of new  freelancers get stucked in upwork)

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Congratulations on your first successful contract! Well done. Nice feedback too.

BUT: With all due respect, your profile needs a lot of work if you want to succeed here. First of all, proofread it! Fix all the mistakes.

Secondly, your English is not at native level, and offering to translate into English is going to be profile suicide. I see no hint that you are a translator, and even if you are, do not translate into your non-native language. Translators (real ones) just don't do that sort of thing and translators who are not really fluent in their second language really, really must not do that.

Sorry to sound blunt, but you have a profile offering a whole bunch of stuff, at least one of which you demonstrably can not do well, so that will turn clients off.

Concentrate on one or two core skills and don't lie about skill-levels, it always, always, always misfires. Rephrase your first 2 lines. Clients are not interested in your religion and can see where you live. Scrap that and exchange it for something that tells clients what hiring you brings to the table. That first line is the line that decides if a client will click on your profile or not. Make it count and make it a call to action to look at your whole profile.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
petra_r
Community Member

Congratulations on your first successful contract! Well done. Nice feedback too.

BUT: With all due respect, your profile needs a lot of work if you want to succeed here. First of all, proofread it! Fix all the mistakes.

Secondly, your English is not at native level, and offering to translate into English is going to be profile suicide. I see no hint that you are a translator, and even if you are, do not translate into your non-native language. Translators (real ones) just don't do that sort of thing and translators who are not really fluent in their second language really, really must not do that.

Sorry to sound blunt, but you have a profile offering a whole bunch of stuff, at least one of which you demonstrably can not do well, so that will turn clients off.

Concentrate on one or two core skills and don't lie about skill-levels, it always, always, always misfires. Rephrase your first 2 lines. Clients are not interested in your religion and can see where you live. Scrap that and exchange it for something that tells clients what hiring you brings to the table. That first line is the line that decides if a client will click on your profile or not. Make it count and make it a call to action to look at your whole profile.

Thank you for comment. I will go through your review and will rebuild the profile again

Just came to visit this post after 3 years. I'm happy in the place i'm now. Thank you for all your feedbacks.

Supun J wrote:

Just came to visit this post after 3 years. I'm happy in the place i'm now. Thank you for all your feedbacks.

Looks like you're doing great!

23574fce
Community Member

Thanks al lot

Farhana H wrote:

Thanks al lot

1. Take out any culture-specific references from your profile. This is a global platform and might deter some clients, you want to avoid that. 

2. Your focus must be on what the client needs. Put this in the form of questions. 

3. Structure your overview. The first two lines MUST grab attention. Don't waste them on a greeting or an introduction. 

4. Raise your rate to $10. You want to be taken seriously. 

5. There is no guarantee you will win any jobs. If this is your only option, keep at it diligently. 

Thanks a lot for your great suggestion.

a35335fe
Community Member

Hi mr supon  are you can help me to build my profile , as I am a new client in this field, all of the methods is not known to me .

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths